Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Is there a new generation of exterior wood restoration contractors?

Question

This morning I was on the phone with a long time sales rep. of a major stain manufacturer that sells to a large number of professional contractors. He mentioned something that struck a chord. It has been obvious for the past few years here on TGS and has been in the back of my mind for a while. Where are the new contractors/companies?

It is not a decrease of sales on his part, but an observation of the activity here on TGS. Aside from Charlie Soden of Apex DeckSavers,, there are few others that express a real interest or passion for the business. Why?

Odd getting old. At one time, TGS was a hotbed of job photos, questions, debate, argument, banter, and comment. People were engaged in the business. The contractor industry appeared to be growing, and active participation here strong. Where did it go?

Do not blame us old timers. We did our part and will not be here forever. Beth & Rod, Diamond Jim, Shane, Jake Clark, Russell Cissell, John T., and many others helped in establishing this business as a worthy endeavor. With little capital, hard work, and basic education/marketing/business knowledge, a viable path to making a good, if not effortless, living.

At a time of high unemployment and lack of conventional opportunity, I would think that more would be considering exterior wood restoration as an attractive business. In better than average up scale demographics, business is good and in my experience, will keep getting better.

Different perspectives encouraged.

34 answers to this question

I used this board for 1.5 yrs every day before I got started and I still ran in to a lot of issues over 10 yrs ago when I started the biz. You can have all the knowledge about exterior wood restoration but honestly it takes years to get things right. Especially if you decide to hire employees. They need to be trained well with clear procedures in place. I have pages and pages that explains step by step how to wash a deck. how to strip a deck, how to stain a deck etc etc. They still go through a learning curve and you need to be with them a lot in the beginning. Once they start learning the profession and feel like a technician instead of just a laborer and they make decent money at it then there is a better chance that they will return each season and your company will be performing work at the highest quality.

I used this board for 1.5 yrs every day before I got started and I still ran in to a lot of issues over 10 yrs ago when I started the biz. You can have all the knowledge about exterior wood restoration but honestly it takes years to get things right. Especially if you decide to hire employees. They need to be trained well with clear procedures in place. I have pages and pages that explains step by step how to wash a deck. how to strip a deck, how to stain a deck etc etc. They still go through a learning curve and you need to be with them a lot in the beginning. Once they start learning the profession and feel like a technician instead of just a laborer and they make decent money at it then there is a better chance that they will return each season and your company will be performing work at the highest quality.

I'm not to far from you Jim. Give me a call if you ever need anything.

... Once they start learning the profession and feel like a technician instead of just a laborer and they make decent money at it then there is a better chance that they will return each season and your company will be performing work at the highest quality.

Very good advice.

All my wood care work is maintenanced based. Which turns into maintaining the property for life . I used to do a ton of yearly of the horizontials which I switched to every other year. Some ipe is still yearly. I have approx 30 customers that have shelled out 20 k in maintenance and I have 50 that have paid 10 k to 15 k in maintenance over the life of their deck .I have 4 that have paid way over 20 k thats because it includes the house restoration .I have 20 sets of garage doors that I do every three years which have mahogany decks which I do every other year that development is 5k a year. Most of these include maintenance from the roof down. I love maintenance.

In the last two years I have picked up some very nice annual and every other year cleanings that don't include wood .

My clients actually bug me about their maintenance

After doing wood restoration for several years I had to put my precious Elite Powerwash into hibernation due to work schedule changes in my 'real job'. Wife and I have decided enough is enough when it comes to 'working for the man'. This time next year we should be moved to the Durango, Colorado area where we will build our own house (cabin) and start the business back up as a full time venture. There are the normal painter/landscapers there like anywhere; I dealt with the competition here in Texas and will deal with them in Colorado to. I always marketed to the high end customers and gave a firm price, no haggling. If you want to haggle then go to the flea market. I have always treated wood restoration as a craft and will continue to do so. Knowledge and straight talk to my customers seemed to work for me. Monogramed shirts, clean vehicle and equipment, professional attitude, quality work. As far as I am concerned my name is on every job. There will always be a place for the quality craftsman at a fair price. Let the low-ballers provide a low level of service and quality, I will be there to pick up the pieces and have a satisfied customer. It takes time but it works. Everyone on TGS has been a great help to me over the years!

... I always marketed to the high end customers and gave a firm price, no haggling. If you want to haggle then go to the flea market. I have always treated wood restoration as a craft and will continue to do so. Knowledge and straight talk to my customers seemed to work for me. Monogramed shirts, clean vehicle and equipment, professional attitude, quality work. As far as I am concerned my name is on every job. There will always be a place for the quality craftsman at a fair price. ...

Pete,

Wise words. Best wishes on the new venture in Durango. A beautiful area of a wonderful state.

I've been absent awhile working in political nightmare this country is facing ....the Marxist entitlement cradle to grave gubbimunt check is better for some than real capitalist work in a free market place I'm afraid.......