Sign in to follow this  
bfenne

Protecting Things From Overspray

Question

32 answers to this question

When I do roofs I put tarps down over everything if there is no gutter above. this house had gutters except the front and garage side. used 3 12x30 tarps and 6 8x10. when on a roof, i use 60-70% chlorine mix, no rinse off.

Please explain how you came by 68% chlorine. Is this powder shock?

This threads old but i'm bored so I'll put in my 2 cents. Tarps suck, all they do is let the sealer/stain sit on it so when you pull it off the concrete,brick whatever it just spills onto everthing.........go canvas, definetely. It soaks up the product and very rarely bleeds through. As far as bleach or anythin hurting windows, I either use jet dry in my house wash or a car wash with wax. The only prob with the car wash is the low suds. I wash cedar homes all the time for a painting contractor and for these prep jobs I use pool chlorine, jomax,tsp, and a dab of jet dry.......have never etched a window.

Please explain how you came by 68% chlorine. Is this powder shock?

I don't think he mentioned anything about 68% chlorine in his post, but if you are reffering to 60%-70% he is talking in terms of the ratio of chlorine to water. As in, for example: mixing 10.5% chlorine with water and the % of chlorine to water mix is 60%-70% chlorine to 30%-40% water.

I saw the 60-70% and immediately thought of 68% calcium Hypochlorite. I found that it does not work so great. The advantage would be to have a stable powder that you could keep on hand in large quantity until you needed it. For some reason, regardless of the strength it does not match Sodium Hypochlorite.