Sign in to follow this  
John Doherty

Bigger Isn't Better?

Beth,

That is great advise... I spoke with our Pulmonologist at my hospital where I work this past summer. The deck stripper and oxalic acid are very caustic to lung tissue... you wont see damage in the short run, maybe some mild discomfort, but the long term exposure effects may be catadtrophic to your health and result in early retirement (death). The respirator cartridge PPE at the hardware store will work provided the cartridges are rated for and will filter the chemicals used. Being fit tested for the respirator is always a plus.

I see people on ventiators in the ICU from toxic exposure both short term and long term. It is not a Kodak moment you or your family would like to see. Like other mistakes I made entering the business, I too started useing the chems without PPE respirator.

Also: Blind pressure washing technicians really suck at power washing and deck restoration... Use Eye Protection - Sodium Hydroxide and other chems we use will mess up your vision that even glasses cant fix.

I'd like to thank everyone who replied, it's given me plenty of food for thought! I'll probably go for a 3/4 ton van. The only question that remains is exhaust for the burner, any ideas or experiences?

Thanks,

JD

Hey JD,

Most of the companies that install hot water rigs in vans can easily work out an exhaust system for you when they install it. For the van make, I'd suggest Chevy. I've always used fords for my company until my most recent van... My new chevy works great, hauls great and its a lot more comfortable.

JD,

Exhaust systems are easy to install to divert the exhaust out of the van. This can be done by directing it out the back or side of the van (depends on how you situate the machine) or having an exhaust port installed in the roof or side of the van. (less desirable)

Rod~

Celeste:

I would have to seriously disagree with you about using used ambulances. I have ridden in ambulances for almost twenty years and Most are not maintained as well as one would think.There are other issues as well you should figure about 3:1 mileage meaning multiply X 3 the miles on a unit. Ambulances,Fire engines Idle ALOT, on the scene at many hospitals as well as just sitting on the street depending on the system. Now if you were talking a new unit I would say yes, but many many hidden problems with used ambulances.

Oooh, remind me not to have the need for an ambulance......I just thought it would stand to reason that they would be some of the best maintained vehicles in the use truck arena...guess not!

Celeste