Sign in to follow this  
John Doherty

Bigger Isn't Better?

As our businesses grow most people want to go bigger, bigger trucks, higher GPM unit, larger trailer etc. I want to go smaller, and I'm looking for ideas. I'd love to have a self contained unit, by that I mean no trailer, just a truck. I want to put multiple units on the road, and keep costs down.

I had been thinking of Isuzu box trucks, but to get them and set them up the cost is almost $45k.

This is what I need to put on/in the 'platform'.

5 GPM hot water machine

30 to 100 gallon tank (I never have to tank up, water avail. at all jobs)

Nikro 55 gallon vac unit (this thing rocks, thanks Alan!!!!!)

Generator

3 reels, pressure, fill, discharge

This would be for new construction flatwork, which I've been doing for almost 3 years now, so I know this is exactly what I need.

Any suggestions on what to put this on/in would be appreciated, I'd love to just mount it all in a 1/2 ton p/u bed, but then I think it would all fit, but maint would be impossible as it would be too snug.

Thanks,

JD

Consider a Sprinter Van. 28k+

We have loaded it with a hydrotek 8gpm/3000psi 2 gun machine,

225 gallon tank, stack of 3 hose reels (1 fill, 2 pressure) and plenty of room for other items. Total load capacity is just under 2 tons. We are around 1000lbs without water in the tank (add 1800lbs when full).

In the setup you mentioned with a smaller tank, you may very well have enough room to do maintanance. It also depends on how you situate the equipment. Plus, in the winter, your equipment is protected.

I have a 1/3 ton ranger with a hydrotek hot water unit in it and the springs are maxed!

Just a side note for your consideration.

Anyone else?

Rod~

I should think that you could make a serviceable 'box' type truck on a 1/2 ton chassis if you removed the bed and built a flat bed/box.

Granted the load capacity is pretty much maxed when you are fully loaded with gear and a full water tank, (you could add helper springs) but certainly it is doable for a helluvalot less than the 45K for a shiny new truck.

I would suggest a minimum of a 3/4 ton truck and preferably a 1 ton, but if a 1/2 ton is your goal, then with a bit of careful planning, it could be done...

I know from work i have done for Ryder that the Isuzu's are very very expensive to fix. Thats why I didnt get one. Ryder told me that even brakes are very costly and said they didnt recomend one. I Bought the dodge with a box and am planning on downsizing to a 1 ton van. With careful planning everything you have will fit. As far as the sprinters....nice...but i plan on waiting a while. The mercedes engine i guarantee will be expensive to fix. Yes the diesel will last a half million miles....question is will the rest of the truck last that long.

Andy

Rod,

I looked at the Sprinter, and liked it but smaller is on the price side also, I want to spend no more then $25k for the vehicle, I'm shooting for 2, but if the bank says OK I'll get 3. I really do want to keep the equipment enclosed as you said.

Cujo,

The $45k includes the truck, pw unit and the goodies, I'm starting to think 3/4 ton van, the 1/2 seems more of a dream then reality. The bank (and SBA) don't want to finance any used vehicles, so my first inclination to get the price down is out the window! You're right I don't want to have to plan that carefully, and the wear on a 1/2 ton would probably over time end up costing me more.

Andy,

I've heard the same on the expense for maint. on the Isuzu, although the frequency of problems is lower from what I've heard (compared to the GMC or Ford). The more I think about it the more the 3/4 ton van sounds like the way to go.

My goal is to bring this in at $35k for the vehicle, pw, and all the other stuff, the bank is pretty insistent on everything being new, which is a bummer because I know I could do it all for $20-25k with slightly used stuff.

Thanks for your input and I'd love to hear more!

JD

If your planning on getting a cargo van to put this in I'd suggest chevy. The ford brake systems suck pads big time. I change my pads on two of my ford trucks every 10,000 miles. My chevy is doing great and it's a lot more comforable to ride in. If you have water on every site, I'd just put in a small float tank. Why carry 100 gallons of water if you don't have to? It will also save room inside the van.

Beth and Rod's pickup setup is pretty nice looking and effeciant but I'd use a bigger sized truck so the brakes and suspension won't get worn out so quickly.

Henry,

Are you using ceramic pads?If not switch over on the next change,also,if you buy life time warranty pads.The cost up front is higher but after changing a couple times they will pay for themselves.

JD, you may try to push your bank a bit. I am unsure about your state but I know many banks will finance an SBA loan on a used vehicle if purchased through a certified dealer. Don't quote me but I think you can get up 110% of wholesale Kelly Blue Book value. So shopping dealers would be crucial to find one that will work on a lower markup. If you are getting multiple units, that shouldn't be too hard.

I picked up a used Chevy 3500 high cube diesel for residential and flatwork. It has the attic cutaway extension over the cab which is the perfect place for my reserve tank. When I started I was seeking the same small capacity multi unit operation you seek. I used Ford E350 vans and I hated the tight quarters.

As a side note, I still use an E350 bucket van for the restaurants and I replaced the brakes once and then, as Squirtgun suggested above, I put in ceramic pads. Well worth the investment.

JD check with your bank and others about REPO's, talk with dealers too because they want to unload them fast and some go out for bids.

Also contact delivery companies as they sell out their old fleet cheap and what about Uhaul? again they sell their old stuff off, sure you will need to paint it but could save a bundle that way.

Here's a thought.....anyone ever checked into used ambulances? Figure this:

Seriously heavy duty

Very well maintained

Bins already installed inside as well as lighting

Generator on board

Electricity for laptop on built in desk area

Side access door

probably more than I've listed here.....

They're on EBay all the time, both the van style and box type.....just paint, load & go :)

Celeste

From an old Retired Paramedic... If you are looking for a used ambulance avoid ones tthat have come from commercial ambulance services. They run them until they are dead then put enough repairs into them to get them sold. On the other hand... Ambulances that come from rural volunteer services are usually a safe bet. Our local FD and many like it run the ambulances for 5-8 years on 200-300 calls a year. They buy new ambulances often because they have the taxpayer $$ and community support.

Paul,

Almost,

I still have the application system to install.

It will involve a couple of hose reels with 200' @ (1/4"ID braided) for chem applications, 2 shurflo pumps (bypass or not, not yet decided) and pumptec spray guns w/pressure adjust.

Will do on the pics when its done.

Rod~

Hey Rod,

I've got a shurflow pump on my rig but I use the high pressure line on my rig instead of using a third hose. What made you decide to run the shurflow sprayer seperatly like this? I'm just wondering because I've been thinking about adding a third reel to my rig and doing what your talking about so I could have two people washing and one applying the chemical. In my case though, I usually only have two guys working off that rig sometimes, only one so I never changed it. I personally apply most of our chemicals with the xjet or a foamer. Next year i'm getting a couple m5's and I figured I'd have two guys on opposite sides of the house using them. It should cut our time on doing houses almost in half.

Henry,

A dedicated system with the chem resistant hoses is by choice. I used to have alot of residue coming out of my pressure hose from injecting chems through it.

The m-5 is a great tool. I almost forget that I need tips for other purposes because of the versatility the m-5 has.

Rod~

Hey Rod, I see your point, my reasoning is that at least with my method of using the high pressure lines I don't have to worry about having to rinse out my lines after each use. With your method you will but it will give you more versatility so I guess it's just personal preference. Both methods should work just fine and I may rethink mine.

:think: Silly question........

If you run chem through the hose won't you have residue simply because you ran the chem through it? All hoses have a trickle of something left coming out right? Until the line is flushed the residue is there, isn't it?

Also...the question arises...are some hoses better suited to a particular purpose by way of construction than others? Some hoses are meant to tolerate chems...others are not...what happens to the inside of the hose...perhaps deterioration of the inner lining?

Beth

If you run chem through the hose won't you have residue simply because you ran the chem through it? All hoses have a trickle of something left coming out right? Until the line is flushed the residue is there, isn't it?

That's true but not really what I meant. the way I'm currently set up I use one of my high pressure lines for my surflow pump. Then once I'm done applying chemical I switch it back to the rig and use it for cleaning so my chemicals are rinsed out then. With it set up the other way, your going to have chemical all through your 200' line so you will have to pump the chemical out of the line back into a container then run water through the lines for a while until all the chemical is rinsed out of the lines. Or you could have dedicated hoses and reels for certain chemicals.

The other issue is if a helper doesnt completly clear the chemical out of the line or starts using it for another application, then you have mixed chemicals inside the line. That's something I want to avoid!

Hello Gents...an Ladies, sorry Beth :.)

I am readings so much about shurflo setups and would like a few questions answered if possible.

1. What is the major adavantage of having a shur flow setup?

I do mostly residential housewashing and flatwork.

2.Where would the advantage be by adding a shurflo to my arsenal of equipment? 3000 psi 5 gpm hot/ cold. I do have a M5 xjet that I purchased before the weather got cold here.

3. I did one roof job this season. Would the shurflo set up benefit me on my roof cleaning project ,do to the low pressure that discharge from the unit? It seems as though it will not BLOW the asphalt shingles off when applying the sh.

4. Or do you vets just consider the shur flow a( Prefernce Toy) you added to you arsenal of equipment?

Hi Degraffreed,

A shurflow pump can be used for a variety of things really. Some people use them when they want an exact measurement of chemical application. Some people use them for pretreating decks or applying oxolic acid or even doing roof cleaning. I've had mine for a little over a year now and I've only used it twice. Once for pretreating a deck and for oxolic acid application. I usually prefer using an xjet, it's faster at applying and speed is important to me. The faster I get the chems working the better job we can do. A surflow takes quite a bit of time to apply chemicals to a roof or deck. The xjet or m5 though, is much MUCH faster. As long as you don't have to worry about overspray.

Degraffreed,

For roof applications, others have posted that a 3.8 gpm pump was the pump of choice. For applications using a shurflo on the surfaces you mentioned, I can only think of using it to apply a sealer.

Rod~

A note of caution where chemical application is concerned. The x-jet is a fantastic tool, but the chemicals injected need to be applied with caution, with the proper PPE, and due to the nature of some chemicals ... some you just plain may not want to inject that way. You can harm both property and the technician if you downstream inject acids or caustics.

I am speaking now to those who are new and learning and have NOT done this before. Please, get the correct PPE (personal protection equipment) and wear it. Also don't start out straight away injecting - start out with a simpler application method that will not throw up so much chem. Some methods require expereince in handling tools and chems prior to being used. Be safe.

Ok...off the soapbox.:soapbox:

Beth