Sign in to follow this  
Klean Spray

Battery Not Charging?

I have a Honda GX620 -electric start ( 5.5 gal ) machine with 450-hrs on it that is not holding a charge? I changed the starter battery out and still the same problem. If I jump the battery off with the truck, the machine will crank. If I use the starter battery by-it-self it turns over very-very slow but will not fire up. I could carry into the shop but really didn't want the down time.

Question? Could this most likely be a bad Rectifier???

Do you have the trigger 'open'? as in squeezed? If not, your putting way too much load on the starting system. The reason it will crank when you jump start it, is because it's getting it's juice from a larger battery. The litte battery is fighting the compression of water in the pump. Sqeeze the trigger. It will make a difference.

Well..........maybe its time to upgrade to a larger battery. What about taking it to an auto electrician & have them measure the 'draw' on your current one. Could it be the actual charging system itself playing up? Could just be that the battery is starting to break down. Let us know how you get on with it.

Jeff, it could be a couple of things. You may have a bad regulator, a loose or burned connection at the regulator, bad alternator coils behind the flywheel, or a blown fuse in the control box. Check the fuse first. There's a phillips screw holding the control box cover on. Remove it, and the fuse sits up on top with a white plastic cover on it.

To check the alternator, find the 2 gray wires in the harness. There should be 28 - 32 volts AC between them coming off the alternator.

There are other wiring checks that would frankly take way too long to type, so if we haven't hit on the problem yet, call me.

Had the same thing happen on Friday. I just got the battery cables out and connected the Batteries together, started the pw and went to work. Shirley, one day this week I will get a chance to take it to the repair shop. If not, the battery cables will be handy.

Thanks for all the input and Help!

Found out it was the battery. I actually had two batteries that were bad on this trailer set-up. Thanks again.

Get yourself a battery checker. If you got a bad/dead cell the battery is shot. Besides connections, one of the first things I check is if the battery has a bad cell with the battery checker. Good thing to own and there cheap.