Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

What is the difference between an entrepreneur and a leader?

I do believe that a skilled leader can manage people to do a job even if the leader himself doesn't understand or know how to do it all themselves.

How would a leader do this effectively? How would such a leader know who among many candidates for example, would be best suited to perform the tasks that need to be performed without some basic idea or knowledge regarding the area of expertise?

All leaders, at all levels, should have a basic understanding of the products produced or services performed. The smaller the company, the greater the understanding by the leader. As the company grows, it suggests that the leader will hire other managers to assume a more functional role, thus allowing the leader to step into a role more suited to planning. This is the course of normal growth and leadership roles.

Beth

To lead or be a leader, someone has to be willing to follow you... That can be another company your helping out, teaching or other things...

A leader can be someone who sets the example to follow, despite the fact that others may not follow.

Very true, Alan. History alone is a wonderful illustrator of that. We (US) have had strong opposition during war (pick any war, I'm not speaking of a specific war), but each country had a leader that the citizens would follow. The opposing countries may not have followed our leader, but they did follow a leader.

And as we have discussed, there are various types of leaders and also of leadership styles. Also not all entrepreneurs are suited to becoming leaders, in fact many entrepreneurs start up a business and will sell it off right away because they recognize they are not leaders.

Beth

Well, why not look at the traits of an entrepreneur as well?

Creative

Risk Takers

Strengths in planning and implementing creative thought or vision into a functional business.

Financial backing

These are a few traits I would associate with an entrepreneur.

Beth

An entrepreneur recognizes that here is a task to be done, and capitalizes on what he sees and develops a system to get it done.

A Leader is someone that actualizes the plan and is able to direct and motivate himself and others to achieve the final goal.

Some things that I have noticed, and these are just my opinion. There are different types of leaders.

The Designated leader is someone that has been placed in charge and given the responsibility. A foreman or supervisor type person.

The informal leader is that individual in a crew or organization that everyone looks to for guidance. If you are lucky you have one and a good one. They are not necessarily the oldest person on the job or the most knowledgeable. They are usually pretty Charismatic.

A good leader is also able to recognize problems before they happenm. This can be important in a business environment because it can save you a bunch of money, and wasted effort.

A great Leader is able to take a bunch of strong personalities, work them into a cohesive unit, and make them all feel like they are contributing to the end result in a positive way. BTW, A great leader does not have to have a deep rooted knowledge of what needs to be done. He just needs to be able to recognize that there is a job to be done.

Just my humble little opinion.

One thing is for sure.

We have all had our tribulations in our efforts to be either one in our business'.

I am sure we have learned much in the process, but more has yet to be discovered.

What else can we discern from the differences between Successful Leaders and Entrepreneuers?

Or should we now look at what they have in common?

Self motivation-Ability to motivate oneself towards a specific goal or objective.

Self actualization-Full realization of ones needs.

Goal acheivers-Sets, commits to, and acheives goals.

Evaluation-Observation to assess effectiveness and/or efficiency relative to desired outcome.

Results oriented-Assures that efforts applied are measured steps towards attaining specific goals.

Planning-create or devise a project towards a specific purpose.

Vision-Seeing beyond current endeavors towards future outcomes.

Desire for success-A strong need to achieve a status or result.

Self-Organization-Self structuring and discipline.

Focus-Concentrated effort in pursuit of objectives.

Research-Further education in specific areas relative to the project.

Resourcefulness-Ability to deal promptly and effectively with problems or difficulties.

Among these traits the two share are some of the makings of great business people. As an insight into yourself, ask yourself which of these traits you posess and which you do not? The answer is for you only.

Rod~