Sign in to follow this  
dhou

New to Armstrong Clark - Mahogany/Amber on Western Red Cedar

Question

Hello - Homeowner here who has read much on this forum and was previously using ReadySeal (Natural Cedar) for most of my deck sealing needs. I am interested in trying AC and from the pros forums, most seem to like cedar-semi or the newer Amber.

I got samples of both the Amber and Mahogany and did some test stains on my deck. The Amber seems a bit "yellow" for my taste and the Mahogany looks pretty good. Does anyone have experience or thoughts on the Mahogany stain on cedar? I looked through the forums for example pictures but did not find many.

Does the Amber look yellowish to most folks as they seem to do in the pictures posted? If anyone has any pictures of a full cedar project with the Mahogany stain, that would be very helpful as well.

Thanks for your time and help in advance!

17 answers to this question

We only have pressure treated pine but I can tell you that the age of the wood makes a big difference as well. Is this a new/newer deck or does it have some age?

Hello David, We don't label our photo gallery because the age and species of wood determines the final look of the stain. This is why we have the sample cans for you to try. Your sample cans are showing you exactly what YOUR wood will look like after application. Other's pictures could be misleading.

IF you need further help, please give me a call.

Many thanks,

Jake Clark, Pres

Jake - Thanks for your suggestion.

Though the Amber and Mahogany are formulated to work on hard to penetrate hardwoods, are there any negatives in using them on PT or a softwood like cedar?

David

David, The hardwood stains work great on softwoods. Please call my cell 1 209 541 6579 if you would like more of our info. Many thanks for considering our stains, Jake

here's my cedar deck with the AC mahogany...a little too red for my taste, but it has since mellowed a bit.

i plan to hit it with a maintenance coat of the semi trans rustic brown or cedar to " brown it out " a bit.

post-9650-137772465658_thumb.jpg

here's my cedar deck with the AC mahogany...a little too red for my taste, but it has since mellowed a bit.

i plan to hit it with a maintenance coat of the semi trans rustic brown or cedar to " brown it out " a bit.

Keep in mind the color will tone down and mellow out significantly over time to something more preferred. Not sure how it would look to apply one color over another but you would probably like the Mahogany / Rustic Brown mix. I think you may need to strip unless you let it weather for a couple of years.

post-3028-137772465716_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772465739_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tonyg