Sign in to follow this  
Emminz

Messmer's on Ipe

Question

What's everyone's thoughts/experiences with Messmer's for hardwoods on ipe? I have a homeowner that insists on on using it. That's what the builder recommended. I've never used it or see a deck done with it and thought I'd get some more information about it before I give in or try and push something else on them.

Thanks

Scott

10 answers to this question

Thanks. They are already expecting regular maintenance so if they don't like it there is plenty of opportunity for change. What do you guys use?

Thanks. They are already expecting regular maintenance so if they don't like it there is plenty of opportunity for change. What do you guys use?

Scott,

Wow, a local guy that does wood! We just moved up to Toad Lane in Ringoes last fall from Plainsboro. Give a holler if you need anything. How about this 90+ F. temps the last 2 days? This is ungodly for May. We finally quit at 2:00 PM today, too hot to work in the sun.

Armstrong-Clark makes a fine stain. I'm partial to Ready Seal, but both are good stains for ipe'. We work on a lot of ipe' and other hardwoods.

Many people are looking for a product that will last longer on Ipe but the problem lies in the formulations that do tend to color shift with age.

This creates the problem of needing to strip it each time maintenance is performed because what has aged on the deck will not match with

what comes out of the can.

We have been Armstong stains for this very reason. Everytime you wash it, the color comes off mostly but what remains in the wood is just the non-drying oils and it helps to keep the wood from developing cracks.

Problem is drying time and absorption can be uneven on some grades of Ipe.

I add a dryer to help facilitate a quicker set up on decks where this has been a problem.

Rod!~

All you woodies. Stain and dry it is to much. I hate all this wood, when are you coming. I want to change my color. You missed a spot. I se a splinter. My dog ran on it. It rained. It was to hot. It was still wet. I need it done tomorrow. Give me a nice composite deck to clean and not seal.

... I hate all this wood, when are you coming. I want to change my color. You missed a spot. I se a splinter. My dog ran on it. It rained. It was to hot. It was still wet. I need it done tomorrow. ...

Brian,

You do not know how much fun and satisfying restoring wood is. And if you sell to the better demographics, manage expectations right, and schedule correctly, there are few problems. Well, except for wet weather!

Personally, I could not get up in the morning looking forward to facing square yards of concrete, vinyl siding, or asphalt shingles. Boring. To each his own.

Most dedicated woodies are small operations, a truck or two, and a couple of employees. The owner gets out in the field, gets wet and dirty, and has a lot of satisfaction at the end of a day. There is nothing in the PW business that comes close in home owner satisfaction and personal achievement in correctly restoring exterior wood.

Customers become friends, you see them every year or two. You get to know them, their dogs, the kids, the neighbors. Its a different, but a highly personalized, craftsman type business.

Are you going to make a ton of money? It can be done, but then you lose many of the benefits outlined above. But you can make a respectable living just working wood for 7 - 8 months of the year.

All you woodies. Stain and dry it is to much. I hate all this wood, when are you coming. I want to change my color. You missed a spot. I se a splinter. My dog ran on it. It rained. It was to hot. It was still wet. I need it done tomorrow. Give me a nice composite deck to clean and not seal.

Rick, We are talking tee times here. Remember those before fast cars? Jake

Jake call me Monday I have a big cedar shake roof job on 24 buildings and they want them cleaned and sealed so I told them about Armstrong and they liked it? Still do not want to seal but can not turn down money and I do know how to clean and seal.

Still not golfing and it is killing me. Foot is still a problem. Not healing properly. I am to not put any pressure on it? What the hell. All I have been doing is staying in the office and working. Fired one of the girls (my fault just could not stand her) and it has been good, I have been booking more jobs and staying on top of everything. Got another big truck with all the good stuff and as much as I hate it I can say that it has been great for business. When I am good I will golf everyday. if it does go the other way I may lose my big toe and it will not be good for golf?