Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Home improvement projects and the Honey - Do list...

Question

Lots of us are in the slower months now. I wonder how many of us take the time to do those much needed chores and home improvement projects in the off season?

We are remodeling a bathroom now. I should have gotten a before shot. Rod has ripped up all the old ceramic tile, and ripped out the old cabinet (it had linoleum under it). New tile and a new cabinet are going in. I'll decide tomorrow about the wallpaper.... I'll put up an after shot when he's done.

What's on your Honey - Do list?

The rest of the house...is still on our list....

Beth :groovy:

p.s. photo of Rod removed...exchanged for one that shows more of the work area....

post-1-137772139998_thumb.jpg

10 answers to this question

thank god hes not wearing plumbers shorts.

Just moved into a new house. besides paint changes there is very little to do. Haleleujah! Im sure the honey will make a list soon though. Their just that way. Right beth?

There is a local hadyman with the name "Honey Do" Motto- "What honey cant do I can!"

I did alot of grout over the past week in bathrooms and hallways. The Tile an Grout cleaner by Zep worked very well. Squirt it on, agitate with a brush, wipe off with a towel, and mop off with sponge. Wear gloves and long sleeves as the cleaner is acidic and will burn you. I've found that most of the nasties in grout comes from accumulated dust and fibers pulled from a mop. These fibers trap additional dirt, dirty water from subsequent mopping, and various other grimy stuff really can make a nice floor go down in a hurry. Of course, I'm sure it can't compare with the efficiency of using the steam method, but for here and there applications like a bathroom once a month, it's not bad.

Hey Beth,

We had that exact same wallpaper in our kitchen when we got the house. We pulled ours out and I've done some major remodeling on my house over the last 8 years.

I've installed pergo style wood floors in my kitchen and family room. Built a gameroom, finished my basement, built a deck, new roof, windows, redone my office twice and this summer I built a pond.

My next project is to re-design my kids bathroom and some other minor interior painting. Then I'm thinking about ripping out the master bathroom and turning it into a super bath with the 2 person jet tub, seperate shower and other things.

Here are some finished pictures. (we also got a siberian husky)

post-89-137772139982_thumb.jpg

post-89-137772139988_thumb.jpg

post-89-137772139994_thumb.jpg

I handled all my home improvement projects this past summer by selling the house and moving to an apartment. 3 bedrooms, den, living room, dining room, 2 baths, it actually has more room than the house. Plus a pool, hottub, billiards room, racquetball court, work out room......so far i love it. And that honey do list.....i tell lynn to give it to the maintenance guy..lol

Andy

My Husky (dakota) is now about 16 months old, she loves chasing all the birds and squirrels that come by for the pond..lol As for maintenance, I've got a really good filtration system for the pond so the only maintenance I have to do is clean out the filter and any dying leaves from the plants about once a month. The filter system is outside of the pond so that parts easy.

Hey Beth, I've seen the torn wallpaper thing before also, it's pretty cool. My wife wants to decopauge (sp) the kids bathroom with movie quotes or something like that.. She has an interesting design style all to her own. Her ideas sound crazy to me most of the time but they always turn out looking really awesome.

I'm also looking for one of the full sized arcade machines for my gameroom that have interchangable disks so you can play as many games on them as you want to pay for. I'll put the money towards my kids college fund and the extra money will go towards a new house. LOL

The cool thing about the neighborhood Beth and I live in is the property values here have easily doubled since we got our house here 8 years ago. I had a freind appraise our house about 6 months ago and it came in around 485,000 I was shocked..lol I only payed 179 for it when I got it but I'm not going to complain, I put a lot of work into this house.

We bought a new house and property in September of 2003, remodeling started February 2004 and we moved out in April 2004 so construction could get serious and we should be moving back in by the end of January/begining of February 2005.

The remodle included removing the entire second floor and rebuilding it to make a master suite (the whole upstairs!). All plumbing and electrical has been replaced. Almost everything is new including the staircase, except the 3 fireplaces, the original 1947 hardwood floors and a few other touches that would be too difficult to recreate 50+ years later.

I have not done decoupoge (sp?) since I was little. I took and art & craft course with my mom and did some of it. It was a blast.

Time to work on the bathroom. We did end up getting the paper for to create the torn effect.

Beth

Here's our fireplace that I've been "refacing" for awhile now....it's my biggest resolution for this year - to get it finished!!!!!

Beth, I did our girls' bathroom with tissue paper....crumple, uncrumple, paint/glue mixture to wall. It looks like old plaster, nicely textured.....hides wall imperfections (like badly removed wallpaper) very well.

Rogers project is in our bathroom, and kitchen, and basement, and back foyer, and garage, and yard......glad I'm not him:)

Celeste