Sign in to follow this  
John T

Has anyone stained a solid color in this heat?

Question

This is a personal question. I'm staining my front porch Armstrong Clarke Amber stain. That is one beautiful stain.

The problem is my back deck yrs ago I made the big mistake of staining it a solid color because my dogs were killing it. Big big mistake.

I have my daughters graduation party next weekend and we powerwashed all the lose stain off my deck 2 weeks ago.

I have to get it stained solid for the party next week and this heat is relentless and we all know solid dries fast as heck.

I'm going to try and stain it tomorrow because There really is no more time for me to wait.

Anyone stain a solid color in this heat and did it come out OK?

3 answers to this question

Stain during the coolest time of day, in she shade if you can.

Beth

That's my plan but I'm so concerned how hot the wood is even in the shade that the solid stain is going to dry to fast.

I guess as long as it looks good for next weeks party is going to have to suffice.

For any woodies out there, solid stain is OK for verticals but the horizontal surfaces they bite. You also loose the beauty of the wood grain and that's what I miss the most with my deck-- darn dogs:) like it's their fault..lol

John,

Depends on if it is an oil or waterbased solid stain. In either case for vertical wood, just stain away.

Horizontal wood, be careful. If its an oil stain, wait for shade or if in a rush, cool the wood down with water, blow and or squeegee off, and let dry for a little while. Take a moisture reading and if reasonable, slop the stuff on.

Waterbase solid stain, who cares?