Sign in to follow this  
Trevor C.N

Cleaning wood ceiling

Question

post-11304-137772468383_thumb.jpg

I have a repeat customer who wants me to clean the ceiling of his horse stall. The stall is a couple years old, but the ceiling is caked with black mold spots. The owners are concerned that it’s affecting the air quality for the horses. After I clean it, they want me to seal it to prevent further growth.

I’m not brightening or using bleach because it will drip down the wood walls and cause bright drip marks. So I’m limited to Percarbonate.

Two questions:

1. How do I ensure dwell time on a ceiling?
  2. What is a good clear sealer to use for preventing mold? – It won’t be exposed to UV so pigment doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Trevor

post-11304-137772468289_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

... Two questions:

1. How do I ensure dwell time on a ceiling?
  2. What is a good clear sealer to use for preventing mold? – It won’t be exposed to UV so pigment doesn't matter. ...

Trevor,

I would reconsider and at least test using a 2% bleach/soap solution. Nothing kills mold and mildew more effectively than bleach. If you constantly rinse the surrounding walls with low pressure water while you are applying and letting the mix dwell a short while, it should work fine. Test on a ceiling spot next to a wall first. Unlike percarbonate, bleach kills quickly, AFAIK, on contact, so little or no dwell time is needed.

Surfactants such as Dow's Tergitol NP-9 thicken any chemical mix and provide some "cling". Many PW distributors should carry the product or similar.

Use a clear waterbase wood stain, not an oil stain. Mildewcides in oil stains break down over time, and linseed oil, which is used in most oil stains, is a food source for mold and mildew.

Alright! Thanks Rick and everyone else for the advice! I'll do exactly that and let you know how it turns out!

Best Regards

Trevor,

You are welcome. Canadians are so polite. Those of us in the N.E. US should learn a thing or two from our Northern friends.

Haha! I'm just thankful to have such a valuable resource. I could not have started my business without the experience and insights of this community.

Thanks to Jake from AC for taking the time to tell me about TGS.