Sign in to follow this  
deedub

Staining a pergola with a vine

Question

I have a pergola with a wysteria type vine. Has anyone had experience staining a wood pergola with this type of obstacle? Heavy pruning is not an option . A garden forum may have some input, but maybe not like fellow forum members here.....and had the vine survive after . I am fairly certain the vine could die with too much indirect stain contact but wanted to hear others.

thanks,

dave

4 answers to this question

I have a pergola with a wysteria type vine. Has anyone had experience staining a wood pergola with this type of obstacle? Heavy pruning is not an option . A garden forum may have some input, but maybe not like fellow forum members here.....and had the vine survive after . I am fairly certain the vine could die with too much indirect stain contact but wanted to hear others.

thanks,

dave

welcome Dave...Please add your signature to your profile..Thanks

Try to pull the vine off as much as you can since they don't want to prune it or stain in the winter time when the plant is dormant.

I 've run into this alot. It's almost impossible to "unravel" the vine without "some" damage. The customer has to know that and it is within their understanding that you are not liable in any way shape or form. Also it is simply impossible to unravel even al ittle, and, not get any stain on the vine.

So it would be more prudent to have them let you prune the vine in advance in such a way that it has as little exposure to the stain as possible.

It's either that or avoid that area altogether, because you don't want to get a callback to replace it, or start an insurance claim.

Pruning it , is not killing it, and is being proactive to protecting it in the long run.

Sometimes you can get some plastic behind the vine, other times you can't. Personally, we never disrupt a vine without speaking to the owner first. Some of them don't mind and are ready to prune anyway, others freak out if you touch it. We have seen both. We have one client who insists we work while it is dormant, which puts us on site very early in the year.

Beth