turbonyg

Clear stain options?

Question

Looking for a clear stain/sealer to use on a handful of small townhouse decks.

So far it looks like it's between AC and Bakers.

Which would offer better UV protection?

Which would apply/dry better in 50*'s October weather?

7 answers to this question

Bakers Super Clear has no UV protection .I would make a 50/50 mix Clear/Cedar Dark.You can apply above 50 but the moisture is alway tough when it's cold.

Shane, how "natural" does the cedar gold look? Could I mix that with the clear and still have UV protection?

Beth, what would you suggestion I offer to the customer that wants a "clear sealer" to give them the most natural look while having UV protection?

As far as temp goes, based off of last year I need to plan for the 50* mark as about 1/2 the days were less and the days warmer were scattered. Plus this property is about 500' off the Lake Michigan shore line.

What does a clear stain/sealer do? just add oil to the wood to keep it from drying out further, but still lets it turn gray?

Doug,

Essentially yes.  A clear oil in the wood itself does prevent moisture penetration.  Without some pigment, there is no surface protection from the sun's UV light.

We like Armstrong Clark, you can also mix the semi-transparent with the toner if you want less pigment but still want to have protection. Just ask the customer if they want the deck to be grey in 4-6 weeks. They will change quickly to the semi-transparent.

Beth

Talked to the customer today. He ended up being ok with going with a semi-transparent after the little education.

I am looking at going with the A/C Cedar Semi. Anyone have pics of this on old PT pine?