Sign in to follow this  
tidyjet

The Best Pickup to use

I'm preparing to start [my] pressure wash venture. My 'lil 4-banger Ranger will be definitely inadequate to pull any kind of substantial rig (eg. 12' trailer w/hot and cold unit, 250 gl tank, ladders and tools).

I'd appreciate any feed back on what you guys are using. Everyone has their brand/make preferences of course. Regardless:

Which full size truck is the most reliable and economical?

Should I consider diesel or gas?

1/2 ton or 3/4?

4 WD or will 2 be sufficient? (Winters are not harsh here so snow not really an issue but getting in and out of constructions sites could be I suppose.)

What are you guys using?

My price cap is around $7k and I'm hoping to find something w/low mileage and wear in that ballpark.

thanks,

paul

Thinking of selling my truck if anyone's interested:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500

23,000 miles

4WD

V8 5.6L Hemi gasoline engine

4-door full size cab

345 horsepower, pulls loaded trailer with full 250 gal tank without knowing it's there.

Leather interior, power everything, tinted windows, factor truck liner, good tires, side step rails, towing package, bed rails, extremely clean. Only blemishes are a few spots of paint damage just above the bed beside cab window where some battery acid splashed.

Asking payoff (currently around $22k). Don't get enough use out of it to justify the cost. Yes, I know that's more than you want to pay, but perhaps other's will see this.

IT all depends. You are buying used, so can you find a good used diesel?

Ideally, for maximum life of the truck, and ease of use, I would go with a 3/4 ton pickup. There are a lot of guys on here that use 1/2 tons, but I have tried that, and it did not work for me. Toasted the tranny too quick, and the stopping power wasn't there. I prefer my 3/4 tons for a loaded trailer.

If you can get a diesel, they have a lot more torque and pull easier. A gas engine, especially for someone just starting out, would probably be adequate. There are soem areas where you can get a cheap truck and you might want to look for them. Try Fleet auctions, and construction auctions. You can sometimes find really good deals there, but, you had better have your stuff together.

If it was me, in your situation, I would buy a good used truck, the best one I could find for the money. Patience will get you the best deal.

Scott Stone

Like Scott said buy a diesel, either Ford or Dodge 3/4.

Now there are a few differences, namely the Dodge Cummins gets much better milage but the Ford Super Duty has more get up and go power.

I have owned both and both are good, if your concerned about fuel cost go with Dodge and if not either one.

Test drive both and if able to rent first.

Have you considered an E-Series Cargo Van? You can pick them up pretty cheap used. Trucks seem to be a little more but either is a good choice. Jon is right on the money with his trucks. A diesel for you would be awesome but they are not cheap. Even at the auctions right now they are sometimes going for as much as $3,000 over wholesale Blue Book. I wanted to get one pretty bad but couldn't touch one for less than about $17,000. Even a 1998 with 70,000 miles was priced pretty dang high.

I looked at a few E-Series Vans and just bought an E-350 Passenger Van. I took the back two rows of seats out (has vinyl floor) and converted it to what I wanted inside. With a van you can atleast lock your things inside and they're covered from the elements. Plus, if you put some graphics or signs on it it's a mobile bill board! I'm going to get mine wrapped as soon as I can afford it.

Craig, Do you tow a trailer behind your van, or do yo find the room inside adaquete enough? I'm still considering for my next set up wether to go box truck or large van. I was concerned about the available sqftage and interior height of a van opposed to a box truck.

I have a 5x10 single axle trailer with gate. I had a box (frame) welded to the front of it to extend it another 12" so I can put 5-5 Gallon buckets for chems. Normally I don't carry water or much for chems because the trailer's GVWR is only 3500 lbs. On the trailer is my pressure washer, 200 gal water tank (holding), water recovery (55 gal wet/vac), generator, water hose on reel, cones and surface cleaner. In my van I have 200ft of 2" hose for recovery, tools, chems (dry), gloves, backpack blower, and tons of cleaning stuff. I bought a bunch of those cheap storage containers from Lowes to organize everything. I was going to get an 8x14 tandem axle trailer but I'm rethinking. The size of my trailer and van setup is perfect for me now.. but my next rig will be on a bigger trailer.

Here's a pic.

I prefer the van because if my machine goes down I can pick up another one. If my van goes down I can tow the unit with another vehicle. Plus, the van was actually a 12 person passenger van, but I took the back two rows of seats out. The one right behind me I left in there. This way I can take as many as 5 people with me (like to a convention or family trip) and it's pretty versatile. If I don't have passengers I use the seat for computer set-up or to keep organized.

post-738-13777214003_thumb.jpg

We use a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD which works well. Your on the right track, def need the V-8...lots of people use 6's to pull trailers, (boats, jetski's etc.) but the 8 is the way to go for the torque you need, especially if your moving water tanks around, (which we don't do).......The most reliable truck I've ever been associated with was Toyota.....had 3 throughout my days and never a problem. Just wasn't in the budget (too expensive, even used) when we started up this business. Toyota makes a V8...I had a V6 T100 that was fantastic but even one thats 5 years old will be pricey........ Don't be affraid of higher milage vehicles......a lemon is a lemon from the start, a reputable dealer (someone in the auto business you can trust, that is) or a private sale that keeps good records of maint........ Good Luck

Turned in my old lease and picked up this one. 2500HD, 6 liter gas.

This is my first 3/4 ton truck. It's a beast. It can compete with any other 3/4 ton, gas engine truck on the market. I wish I could have squeezed in the diesal option, but at $5800, just a bit too much. Plus, diesal fuel here is a good .30/gal more than gasoline.

Two previous 1/2 ton trucks never failed me, but I know it's limit was stretched quite often. I have no doubt the transmission was the weakest link that would prematurely fail at some point. I was lucky enough to not have tranny problems, but I think because I turn them back in with less than 40k miles, the damage hasn't yet surfaced.

It might be iffy to buy a used 1/2 ton with higher milage. Unless you can get a really good price, and expect that the tranny will need to relaced, and maybe soon.

Here is a pic of the new 'big dog'. These pics were taken right after it was delivered to the dealer, but before it was prepped and delivered to me.

Gezzz, the prices on PU's are out the roof! Comparable vans are much cheaper. I'm still undecided however what will suit me the best, a PU or a van.

Mind you, I'm trying to start this business on a budget yet practicing business properly and competitively. It's important to me to get started with the proper equipment. I've only got about 15k cash to work with for everything (wash equip included).

I came across a clean 1-ton '84 Silverado C-30 Dually, reg cab & 8' bed, tow pkg. New 7.4 (454) and very low mileage T400 trans. This thing will pull enough water for a week and be able to stop to. But for 4800 bucks for a truck that old????

I'm just trying to get something reliable so I can focus on building my business without tying up a lot of money in it.

Decisions, Decisions.

pmg

Turned in my old lease and picked up this one. 2500HD, 6 liter gas.

This is my first 3/4 ton truck. It's a beast. It can compete with any other 3/4 ton, gas engine truck on the market. I wish I could have squeezed in the diesal option, but at $5800, just a bit too much. Plus, diesal fuel here is a good .30/gal more than gasoline.

Two previous 1/2 ton trucks never failed me.

Tony, you're telling me that a PU works better for you than a Van. I'm leaning towards a pu from the ease of working w/equip standpoint however, securing my equip will become an issue. Tool box arrangements will be very essential.

My situation differs from you in that I'm just starting out, a lease is out of the question. In comparison, the old 1-ton dually might not be a bad way to go for me even at $4800. Maybe it's the biggest bang for the buck.

pmg

That would be a good deal, especially if the body is straight. I had a 35 year old pickup for a while. It had advantages and disadvantages. The worst was the old Ford smell. They all have it, but still...

Anyway, a clean older pickup is not especially looked down on.

Tidy,

Thats not a bad price for that truck.....before we found the dodge, we were just about ready to buy an older (89 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 w/plow) for 5k, the milage was low and a dealership only used it to plow the lot during winter months.....the body was good but not great......the factors that helped us decide was 1: sometimes old trucks with low miles can be worse than high miles, just sitting around for 15 years rotting seals etc etc 2: was the truck used only for plowing snow for 15 years? low speed around the lot crashing into snowbanks for all those years. 3: was there some kid just beating on it all the time? 4: creature comforts- no a/c, power nothing, older ripped interior. 5: the looks, it "looked" like an older truck, faded red, silver bottom, few dents here and there, which was ok just decided we wanted to "look" as good as possible pulling our trailer with our company name on the truck. the dodge is big and pretty tough looking, black with the black magnetic signs makes it look like the lettering and logo are painted right on.......any rig will do and people shouldn't "judge a book by its cover" but I think "potential customers" do just that.

Doing residential work in upscale neighborhoods, we like to believe that people, customers and their neighbors, would like to see what looks professional parked in front of their homes...........I understand the quality of work is what really matters, so don't tear me up, but in peoples minds, they do notice "appearance", IE: nice clothes (uniforms-company t-shirt, clean body, decent looking equipment)

quick example- I had a plummer out to the house that was a friend of a friend. He pulled up in a beat to hell, old nasty station wagon (which looked like he also lived in) sloppy clothes etc etc.....did geat work, I'll give him that, and I would pass him onto others, but noooooo way would any of my neighbors called on him without knowing me.........that was a long .02 worth, so I'll call it my .04......................