Sign in to follow this  
desi

what type of customer

Have you guys ever figured out who is your typical residential customer? Do they have 1500 sq ft and small houses or are they in 2500 sq ft + homes. My price per sq ft is a little less on the larger homes. I am trying to avoid sticker shock whn quoting. Any opinions if I should be charging more per sq ft on larger homes? Do you give breaks for larger jobs?

I would like to hear your opinions on this concept.

I charge more for larger homes is there is more footwork involved...they usually have more and higher windows and gutters, so I have to climb farther and more often to clean them completely. You can avoid sticker shock by selling and preparing them for your cost of services during the "sales pitch."

Really, I don't have a sales pitch, I just BS for awhile with them and let them in on what kind of quality they *should* expect and what dangers to watch for in the industry in general. They respect that and usually don't seem to mind paying. Actually, I have never had a dispute on cost...usually they are more than happy to hand over the amount for a superb quality job when they see their investment sparkling and looking like it had just been painted...it's much cheaper than painting!!!

Couldn't agree more with you, Ryan.

Desi, I would suggest trying to read up on any type of sales books you can. Salesmanship will play a big role in your success! And for the record, "Stickershock" is not only a good thing, it's necessary! LOL

When I meet a customer, I "get into bed with them." By that I mean the number one rule of sales is... Get the customer to "Like, trust and respect you." Find common ground with them. If they like, trust and respect you they will buy from you. Build credibility with them with your brochure, before/after photos, professional looking uniforms, hats and use "tie in and tag on" questions.

I typically use "suggestive selling." It works great. Link what you think they might need and use to what you've done for other people. Don't you dare lower your price because you're afraid you'll have to peel them off the roof. :^) When they fall back down just be prepared to catch them and close 'em! LOL Atleast if you start a little higher, even if you say something like "Ok, I'm with you. Let me think a minute. ..pause... I'm just trying to justify in my mind why I should lower my price. I never do, but I'd like to make my services the most cost-effective I can for you. I really don't like it when a customer goes with another contractor to save a couple of bucks and then they have to call me to come in and fix their damage. Listen, here's what we'll do, but you have to promise me something. You have to give me 2 referrals this month and I'll knock 20% off my services, bottom line. (Normally they'll look at you surprised and say OK!) We also have to schedule it on ----- (whatever date is convenient for YOU, DESI).

I pretty much overbid everything by 10 to 20%. I don't give breaks, but I do... see what I mean? If I give a break I get what I want anyways.

Read up, bid what is fair and don't let the customer control you... get them to like you and you will be in business.

Craig

Add my name to the vote for sales technique.

To answer your question, desi, because my costs are amortized per job, the more square footage the cheaper the rate per square foot. I am blessed with working a very desirable area with ridiculous(ly) rising property values. Most homeowner's in this area want quality work and want to feel warm and fuzzy knowing a job was done meticulously. They can get the sticker shock when they shop for the his and her Carrera convertibles.