boho444

A/C stain looks like it's peeking after less than a year.

Question

11 answers to this question

Yes I agree with Jim. AC products are excellent but unless their applied correctly like any other stain should be there could be problems.

Prep work could be called into question here as well as the weather when it was applied such as was the wood in direct sunlight and was it extremely hot when the stain was applied.

The odds of AC having a bad batch of stain is just about slim to none.

Jim,

Do you even realize the number of coats you would have to apply to form a film to begin with, and the amount of drying oil you would need in the product to create a film that would truly crack and peel? Sorry, I'm calling BS. An over application of AC would stay tacky and would attract dirt and turn black but I still say it can't peel. Sikkens, I would have agreed, since the amount of alkyd oil in the product is so high. The cure for Sikkens is harder, and yes, that one can.

Beth

Thanks guys.

I used restore a deck cleaning and brightening. I came back and sanded with a 60grit.

Applied the stain by brush and I highly doubt I applied too much. The weather was really hot and sunny. A/C claims that it can be applied in the heat and Sun.

I am wondering if lack of airflow could be the issue. Minimal spacing between the boards and has deck boards on the border going flush with the grass. Has anyone had issues with lack of airflow. It's cedar wood if that makes a difference. No bleach was used.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

It is not a bad batch. I used from the same pale so stain my deck and it still looks amazing. I am not doubting A/C products. I just wondering if anyone else has seen wear Iike this after a year.

When I recoat, should I strip and apply the stain or would applying over top be enough?

Thanks

If thats a ground floor deck yes there could be a moisture air problem. I had a couple of decks over the years where they were ground floor and we had issues with not only the deck taking forever to dry but the stain itself did not dry correctly. Thats what it looks like now in your picture.

Its rare this happens but every now and then we all run into this problem if we do enough decks.

I stripped the boards down in about an hour. Very happy to see how easily it came off. Looked like oil washing off the deck. Didn't harm any of the vegetation.

I have been reading that a lot of people are applying two coats. I apply a heavy coat and a then a thin coat wet on wet with a brush. Do you guys think that's sufficient?

Any one come back a couple days later and decide a second coat is necessary? Or is that a waste of time?

Oh and installing the vents tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for the help guys.

Looks great!

If you have to apply more always do it during the initial application. If you apply too much you will run into issues, and that is true of any product. Follow the label.

Beth