Sign in to follow this  
h2o spray

Sealer/Stain dry times

Question

Going to give staining a trial run for the first time (my own deck) The deck is Pressure treated pine recently stripped & cleaned. We have ALOT of request for services and we refer out as of now. I feel there is ALOT to learn before actually being able to offer deck sealing/staining. I feel confident with the cleaning process and have educated myself thru-out the various forums. Now needing to actually seal/stain. Can any one recommend a good sealer/stain that will be an easier application process for a beginner? Also as far as dry times, after washing the deck what is the recommended dryness before being able to apply the sealer/stain and then after applying stain/sealer how long before full contact? I understand weather plays an important role so lets say under perfect weather conditions.(no rain, above 65 degrees) Looking for the professionals basic process. Thanks in advance!

2 answers to this question

There are a lot of wood guys who use Ready Seal. Sounds like a good starting point but understand one thing...on older wood, it will take more to
to get the color to stay on horizontals than usual. Expect 75 sqft/gal in these cases but otherwise, give it a shot.

I have to agree with Rod two of easier stains to apply with no worries are Ready Seal as well as Bakers. They apply  very well and dry quickly and maintanance is a breeze. Best of luck to you.