Sign in to follow this  
mike movila

Deck turned black after staining

Question

I received a call today from a potential customer who informed me that he used Super Deck oil base stain to stain his deck from Sherwin Williams.   He told  me he power washed the deck and stained it with Super Deck and it turned black.  After that he asked some one to strip the deck and he stained it again with the same product.  I asked the potential customer how the striping was done.  He told me it was stripped then it was brighten with oxilic acid.    After the second staining was done the deck turn black again.   The only thought that comes to mind would be that the wood moisture was too high or striping was improper.  I do not have any picutures yet as I have not been to see to the deck yet.   Any thought Rod or any one else  would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance. MIke Movila 

4 answers to this question

If they didn't kill off any existing mold, the likelihood of mold returning is certain. The extent of which is only determinable by a couple of factors.
1. Wood too wet when stained.
2. Deck too low to the ground and high moisture from the evaporating soil beneath keeping mold alive also leading to return.
3. Over hanging plants/trees, excessive shade and or hot tub/pool/pond in proximity adding moisture/humidity for the mold
to feed on.

Strip the deck. Apply bleach and water at 50/50 (bleach/water) to the bare wood and let dwell. Reapply where dark
or otherwise not the true color of wood is present. Rinse thoroughly and then neutralize.
Any stain that is oil based at that point should have an additional mildewcide added to help stave off any growth onset
during the cure time and a drier (Japan Drier) to help speed up the cure and minimize the ability for the environment to
deposit and stick in the stain.

Hope this helps.

Rod