Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

What is a Part Timer?

What is a Part Time Pressure Cleaner?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What is a Part Time Pressure Cleaner?

• Someone who has another source of income.
    • Someone who doesn't work 40 hours a week.
    • A lone owner with no employees.
    • A service business that does not solely do Pressure Cleaning.
    • None of the above, please comment in thread.

Question

12 answers to this question

We considered ourselves "Part-Time" when we had other more reliable sources of income and we counted on that other 40/hour a week job to make ends meet. We have no alternative income now, but when it's freezing outside, we clearly do not work a 40-hour week but we don't consider ourselves as Part Time. Our work is seasonal.....we have more employees in the spring/summer/fall than in winter but we are not part-time. We offer other services besides pressure washing - that doesn't make us part time. At no time during our part-time start up through our slow time now has that lessened our quality, ability or professionalism, nor did it reflect badly on the industry as a whole. You project the image that you want your company to have. If we could only do the work in the morning because of a second shift primary occupation, we let the client draw the assumption that we were already booked for the afternoons. Being "Part Time" is not a bad thing.

Celeste

No "part time" is not a bad thing and does not mean that someone would not do quality work.

I feel the word part timer is used the same as low baller, as a way to degrade someone. Both are used out of context quite often.

I have a full time day job, which involves lots of washing and I wash for my business in the afternoon, evening, midnight and weekends. Aside from my time washing, I also have equipment maintenance, paperwork, sales and so on. Hour wise, I far surpass the "part time" image imposed by many.

No "part time" is not a bad thing and does not mean that someone would not do quality work.

I feel the word part timer is used the same as low baller, as a way to degrade someone. Both are used out of context quite often.

I agree with you Alan. I am also part time (meaning I have another job and wash evenings and on days off.) Unfortunately your correct when you say sometimes a part timer is put in the same catagory as a lowballer. I think if someone is educated, has license & insurance and they can afford to make a profit doing starting out part time why is this a bad thing in some peoples eyes? I do hope to go full time one day, but until then I enjoy my "part time adventure" :)

I started out as part time. I will admit that I have used me being full time now to my advantage, usually that I can provide better service because this is all that I do. I do not have a problem wiht people doing this part time, unless they are low balling and screwing up the prime good paying accounts by the they do, but then I feel the same way about companies doing this full time.

Scott Stone

We are part timers.... part time but still professional.. We both have full time careers in Law Enforcement... minimum 48 hours a week with those jobs. The careers pay "most" of the bills, but 2 children in Catholic School, over priced property and taxes takes it's toll...but the health insurance, life insurance, pretty decent salary, job security and other benefits have allowed us to venture into this realm without breaking us...YET We both have about 8-10 years left before we can pack it in, collect a pension and move on... we will still be young enough to enjoy retirement and continue with this...all be it somewhere warmer. We're both getting tired of the current careers, with the police politics, dealing with the dregs of society, gloom and doom everyday..but financially we cant walk away...we will MAKE this work because we enjoy the work and its nice to meet people that like you for a change....no matter how good of a job we do on the full time jobs, most people we deal with still HATE us...LOL

A Part Timer is just that.. part time pressure washer, full time something else. It simply means that you have not yet closed the deal for yourself for whatever reasons which suit you.

There is also the argument that Part-timers are just that in order to make ends meet. Similar to taking a job at Wally World or Burger King in the evenings to pay for whatever lifestyle you have chosen, having a part time gig pressure washing seems little different.

Like many others, we were (quasi) part time in the beginning. That is to say that Pam was promoting the business and growing it on a full time basis. I had a full time job.

As might be expected, her work was slow at first, but continued, through her hard work and perserverence, to grow in volume. She had jobs fairly frequently, and as it goes so many times, business flourished and she started needing helpers. Once upon a day, the work had grown to a point where Pam "hired" me away from my full time job to help her on a full time basis and well... here we are..

It's not necessarily a bad thing, but like Scott, when other avenues of closing the sale have failed, I will beat my competition like a drum, mercilessly and thouroughly with that tidbit. I also share his views about lowballers whether they be full or part time.

I think part timers may draw a bad name or a less than favorable image becasue of the huge number of splash & dash guys, those who carry no insurance, no license, no "for real" business ethics or operations or any combination of the above..

Further, some full timers may feel like part timers are scavengers.. Swooping in for a tidbit or morsel now and then without making the level of commitment that the full-timer has. After all if things crap out, the part timer has nothing to lose, the full timer has to suck it up and take the hard times..

Alternatively, there are part timers who work very hard to run legit (as much as can be in this case) operation. Appearing as much like a full timer as possible to make the deal work. We have all done it. Celeste clearly communicates how many of us have closed the deal in the past or in the 'beginning'.

The real question is not necessarily "what is a part timer?", but more like "who is legit?" Who has pressure washing as a "Real" second job, and who has a pressure washer for beer money on game day?

(PS to Tropical Wave .. God Bless you and keep you safe. May the power and the grace of the Lord above bring you both home every day from your patrol. You are among the bravest Americans alive today. Thank you for what you do. You are indeed great Americans)

The real question is not necessarily "what is a part timer?"' date=' but more like "who is legit?" Who has pressure washing as a "Real" second job, and who has a pressure washer for beer money on game day?

[/quote']

That is another realm as "What is Legit?" would come into play. Legit by self regulation and business ethics, or legit by law?

Business insurance would qualify for legit and while not a smart move to not have it, it is not a law issue for unregulated trades.

Worlers Comp is wise for most, but if someone is a one man show, it is not required by law either.

Recovery is law, whether it is being enforced in your area or not, but most do not do it. So if a Company has everything else and no recovery, are they legit?

I am a some timer. Some of the time I am washing and some of the time I am not.

Cujo, thanks for the prayers....we all can use them from time to time. we are trying to do this the RIGHT way....trying to be legit and covering all the bases. thats why I am here, listening, learning and dealing with many seasoned pro's that are willing to help out the folks that truly want to learn.

I voted above that a partimer is one who works on average less then 40 hrs a week. Actually I would say less then 30 hrs a week. I'm sure that there are some fulltimers in the powerwashing field that might have that weekend job to help make ends meet or to get some other benefit which wouldn't make them a partimer.

Right now My business is completely shut down do to the bad weather here. I am going to add Gutter cleaning/gutter leaf filters to my business this year. I hope to add another guy or two to help with the cleaning and installations. This will give my company 5-6 employees for the upcoming year. Still for most I would still be considered partime..with a fulltime attitude. :)

That attitude is alot.... John you hit on a very good point.

I have seen some part timer who turn out such professional results they rival full timers. I have also see some full timers who turn out the sort of results you might expect from a part timer who doesn't have the professional result. In the end, a professional result is not about part time or full time or new or 20 years under your belt. If you are not committed to excellence it shows, regardless of tenure.

Just my little .02

Beth :groovy: