Sign in to follow this  
Under Pressure

Spare Parts?

Question

Being new to the business, I love reading thru these boards and I feel like I have already sidestepped many problems that beginners have thanks to the knowledge shared by the more experienced(old guys):) on these boards. I thank you for that!

My question is, what spare parts do you guys always have with you to ensure that one thing doesn't shut you down for the whole day?

20 answers to this question

You didn't mention what kind of equipment, but generally, I have a spare of almost everything.

As far as a cold water machine goes, it's easier to have an entire spare unit rather than repair on the job.

A comprehensive tool set is also important.

I always carry an extra pump belt, pressure switch, thermostat, gas line filter, diesel water seperator, o-rings, tool set, spark plugs, fuses, wire and splicers/connectors elect-tape,teflon tape, plugs and couplers, spare h/p hose, h/p hose field repair end and the list goes on this is in addition to the already posted items. After everyone posts what they carry you'll have a real good idea on what to carry.

Richard

Spare Parts & Tools:

MPT & FPT QC's-6@ 3/8 and 1/4

MPT & FPT Plugs-6@ 3/8 and 1/4

O'rings 50pack of @ 3/8 and 1/4

O'ring pick

Teflon tape-3 rolls

Nozzles-0*,15*, 25*, 40* and soap- 3@

Fan Nozzles for sprayers - 2@

2 Crecent wrench's

1 Channel lock plyers

1 Vise Grips plyers

Straight and Phillips head screw drivers-1@

Socket tools set

Cordless Drill with attachments

High pressure hose swivels - 2@

7000psi ball valve-1

2 ceramic ball injectors (adjustable)

2 stainless steel ball injectors (adjustable)

Flex wand attachment - 2@

Lithium Grease

WD-40

Grease gun and cartrige (for hose reel swivels)

1st aid kit

Fire Extinguisher, class ABC - 1

Assorted sized bungees

Flashlight

Allen wrench set

Garden hose washers w/screens-5

Garden hose washers w/o screens-5

Garden hose repair kit with screw clamps-1 male, 1 female and 1 splice union

Garden hose shut off valve-1

Various sized screw clamps- approx. 20

Spark plugs-2, oil filter-1

Hand soap-1

Public water meter- 1

4000psi, 10gpm spare spray gun-2

lances (various sizes)-4

wand grip (high heat) -1

(mind turns to mush trying to remember everything thats in my tool box or just in the back of the vehicle)

I like mikes idea, spare socks. I take sandals for driving in and change when I get to a site...helps to minimize swampfoot.

Rod~

In adddition to Rod's list, I also include the following:

Tape - black and duct tape.

Assortment of washers, deck screws and loc-tite thread adhesive.

Quart of oil.

Razor knife.

Needle nose & side cutter pliers.

Spare unloader.

Spare tire, wrench, & jack for trailer.

Garden hose Y adaptor.

Q/C high pressure gauge.

Extension cords.

Shop rags.

A few small C- clamps.

And more stuff I'm sure. It's taken a couple years to build up the inventory I carry on each trailer now days. I'm not going to let a small repair or failure from preventing me from finishing a job.

A couple 20 gallan Rubber Maid plastic bins hold everything nicely.

Big Lots (if they have those in your area) can be a great place to stock up on the little things like misc. tools and fittings if you want to start building an inventory and not spend much money. Or check out yard sales / flea markets. Sorry for stating what might be the obvious, but the thought of building a tool and repair kit can seem daunting and one may overlook these resourceful places.

If anyone has a local Harbour Freight, they have some good deals too. Just have to be careful, because some of the stuff is not good quality.

If you don't have a local store, they have online and mail order stores available nationally.

unloader, clamp on vise that you can clamp on trailer to hold something if need be.

pump oil

engine oil

spray lube

hammer

brushes

squeegee &rubber

shoes,shirt pants

extra gas

high pressure filters

supply side water filter

rebuild kit for turbo

5 & 1 tool

scrapers

squirt bottle for testing

pump up sprayer

teflon tape

pipe wrench

Make sure you have a small (or large depending on your temperment) container for a "Cuss Jar" . Everytime something goes not quite right and you cuss your machine, throw in a quarter. If your luck is like ours, that jar fills up quick enough to pay for whatever went wrong that day :)

Celeste

Under Pressure,

Take a good look at Rod's list. If you want to be a professional then print it out.

Of course everyone learns from their own mistakes and a good rule of thumb is the following: if you've broken down and cannot make repairs without leaving the job site, then when purchasing your part to be repaired you BUY TWO ON THE SPOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

There. Now you have a spare one:)

Although one very important thing that Rod did forget is the packing kit and valve check kit for your pump.

There's nothing worse than working a full day with a pulsating hose and loss of pressure.

I swear by the following: "If I not up and running within 45minutes max, then there's something wrong with my being prepared"

If you can afford it, buy yourself another pump head.....this will cut your water seal (packing) repair time by 25 minutes atleast.

And ofcourse don't be left without a packing remover tool.

Good luck and lots of learning.

Rod,

My initial thought after reading his question was, "Holy s**t", this is going to be a long list.

Then I scroll down and see your response.

Let me say that I laughed out so loud that it made my day. Someone really should have been here to witness my reaction.

Thanks for the laugh