I notice most guys are using 5 gpm hotwater machines , That being said i have been checking out 8 gpm units . Would this be way over kill for most jobs ? I understand gpm is more important then psi for speed which means more money in your pocket . If i was going to invest in a unit would a 5.5 gpm be plenty or should i go balls to the wall right out of the box and get a 8 gpm what say you ?

Alan,

The difference is huge! At one time I was using 14 GPM. That is not possible in a lot of situations though.

The impact at the surface has much more force with 8 GPM, so every revolution of the bar you remove more dirt, oil, etc. per pass of the bar . Which lets you push a surfacer faster without stripes.

I am also interested in a 8 gpm machine but I too am waiting to see if it makes that big of a difference when running a surface cleaner. I would also like to hear from someone with a 8 gpm machine that can tell me if your arms can tell that big of a difference going from a 5 to an 8. If your washing by yourself can you cut your gpm down so the resistance on your wand wont be so bad.

Alan,

The difference is huge! At one time I was using 14 GPM. That is not possible in a lot of situations though.

The impact at the surface has much more force with 8 GPM, so every revolution of the bar you remove more dirt, oil, etc. per pass of the bar . Which lets you push a surfacer faster without stripes.

Is that with or without chems? Using the F-18 I can't get it any cleaner with full impact of the wand, vs the surface cleaner with split impact. No gum involved of course.