Did you have experience before starting your business  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Did you have experience before starting your business

• Lots of experience
    • A little experience
    • Almost no experience
    • No experience at all

Question

Did you have any experience in powerwashing at all before you went into business? I have very little to none. I plan to hopefullly work with another company for a few days to gain a little experience and I also plan to practice on my own property and friends and family.

13 answers to this question

My experience consisted of one of those little yellow Karcher electric pw'ers that we used for cleaning our patio and screens. I did however, spend almost 2 years researching the industry before taking the plunge, so I had a bit of a 'classroom' knowledge beforehand. Now 5+ years later and $60,000 worth of equipment in the garage and driveway, I'm in it full-tilt with no regrets. Every day that goes by makes me that much more unemployable are far as I'm concerned.......I love the freedom too much to ever go back to working for others.

I had very little experience before I started back in 96. I did my house, my parents and my sisters houses before I started to go out and make a few bucks doing this. I pretty much learned as I went. Today you are light years ahead of us guys because of these bb' and for some such as myself the PWNA Organization where thru these avenue's you can network with others with common goals.

I agree John, there is a ton of info out there via the internet. I've been researching for 4 months now almost everyday but feel like I've only scratched the surface. Sounds like it worked for you Don, I will be there someday. I will be only part time at first so I will be gaining some experience before taking the plunge full time. Keep the posts coming guys.

I worked with my uncle doing fleet services on the weekends for golf money. Monday through Friday I had a descent job but liked the extra cash, then after about 1 1/2 years I bought my first machine and did fleet services and after 5 years I do houses, fleets, resteraunts, commercial flat work. Oh by the way the corporate job I mentioned earlier I walked away from and my Mon. thru Fri. is now power washing.

Roger had done a little bit with another guy a couple of years back.....we researched and studied, planned a bit and jumped right in. Our strongest asset was our work ethic and common sense. Set your goals and work your tail off to achieve them, the rest will fall into place shortly thereafter. (And it doesn't hurt to pray and say thank you ALOT)

Celeste

Wow, there is a lot more people that didn't have experience than I would have thought. I am very motivated and ready to hit it hard, I just wish my wife would get a little excited. I mean she supports me but she's just not pumped up about it. I think she thinks it's another one of my hairbrain ideas to make a million dollars.

Well you're sure not gonna make a million dollars right off the bat, but if you work hard, maintain high ethics, and roll with the changes, you can make a decent living at it.

When I was in college, I worked for a housepainter doing exterior prep back in Washington State. When I graduated in 1994 and needed income prior to starting in my profession (school teacher), so I answered an add in the paper for a "pressure washer". I worked a few summers for him and then went out on my own in 1997.

As an aside, Toney, for whom I used to pressure wash, is now a full time realator. He sold my wife and me our first house, then our second, and then my mother-in-law's house. He is also the Godfather of my 2 1/2 year old son.

Duane

Wow, there is a lot more people that didn't have experience than I would have thought. I am very motivated and ready to hit it hard, I just wish my wife would get a little excited. I mean she supports me but she's just not pumped up about it. I think she thinks it's another one of my hairbrain ideas to make a million dollars.

Sound like me.

Have you purchased any equipment yet ? I'm still researching what would be the best machine to get at the best price. I don't want to waist the $$ on the wrong unit.

Yes I have purchased a cold water unit. Just last Friday as a matter of fact. I went with a belt driven unit, 3500psi, 4gpm, 13hp Honda. I thought long and hard about a direct drive unit because they are cheaper, but I wanted a unit that was going to last. But I also had the extra money in the budget to do so. I haggled the guy down $150 too. E mail me anytime, I will help you all I can.