Sign in to follow this  
jnoden

wolmans F&P vs Cabot

Question

I know some of you long time pros probably get tired of questions but I could use some help. I have done much research on these forums regarding the two sealers and still can not decide. Does F&P have problems with long term color retention? Does Cabot look as good as Wolmans? which one is more idiot proof for applying? I would like to use ready seal but with it not being relatively available in my area and this only being my second year in business, Im thinking I should stick with a local retailer. Any thoughts are appreciated

5 answers to this question

jnoden,

W/o trying to detract from any product mentioned, I would have to say that we moved away from them and now use cabot. The reason is that our reputation is out there and costs are a factor as well. The look we acheive with cabot is quite nice.

Rod~

We are moving away from staining and sealing at the moment except when cutomers really want us to do it. We like to use the Wolman F&P. F&P is fairly easy to apply and looks better than anything else I've seen. Cabot looks nearly as good and costs less so it really is a very tough choice. We still use Cabot from time to time because of the greater variety, lower cost and higher avalibility. I really dont know which one holds up better over time.

A soild stain like Wolmans DuraStain is much more idiot proof and may be something to consider too.

Brian

I think Im going to start with Cabot this year. Used their solid stain last year on a two tone and I am initially impressed with that as well as Deckscapes solid which does not need a primer and covers very well with two coats. The guy that sold the Cabot's to me though looks like a stoner. A few lids popped off during transit and I get nervous that he might tint it wrong or give me the wrong stuff. I guess this is one of the draw backs of using a retailer who hires someone at minimum wage who doesnt care much about the job and loves the smell of paint fumes. I might get a decker and try spraying Cabot on my neighbors railing. His deck is going to be my guinea pig this year. He's not complaining since he is getting free labor and in worst case scenario I will strip and start over. Thanks for the replies.

I have spent a lot of time on these post in the last year and posted my first question last week. I feel like I know most of the regulars here because I have read so much.

I understand mostly what makes wood last but I know I am not an authority on the topic. Solids content, type of oil, amount of pigment, wood prep process etc are all factors to how long your stain will last. I knew that both stains were decent but I also heard negative stuff about both stains so it was a little confusing. I only do this part time becauase I have a FT job but I by no means want to be a low baller. I figure that if I give up weekends and have 16 hr week days then it needs to be worth it. I think last year I averaged $35/hr and this year I need to do $50/hr average after every possible expense is subtracted. I have a helper that should make it easier to make that amount.