Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Water in the Gas tank

Recently I had an abnormal amount of water in my gas tank. This caused a small chain of events that had me wondering for quite a bit.

Motor ran about 4 hours on Sunday night with no problems. Monday afternoon when I tried to start it for a pressure check, it would not start. Fuel in the tank, had spark, oil level good.

I pulled the fuel hose to see if gas would drain from the tank and it did, so I cancelled the thought of a tank blockage. I checked the filter but that milky colored plastic is hard to see through, so I put some gas down the carb and it started up.

Closer examination of the fuel filter shows a very small crack so I figure I was sucking air, and replaced the filter, but the no start problem was still there. I stick the fuel line in a gas can and it starts up just fine.

Having it narrowed down to the tank, I drained out the 10 or so gallons that were in there, and pulled th tank off the skid. Unlike some tanks, it is solid red so no using the flashlight to look inside. When I dump out the small amount of fuel left inside the tank, I see many plastic shaving from when they bored the holes for the gas cap.

I have had this skid for nearly three years and the plastic has been there the whole time with no problems so I wonder why it gave me grief this time.

I put the gas in a clear jug and see that the plastic is floating on the water, but will not float on the gas. So when I got this huge amount of water, which was about 2 gallons for the 8 of gas, it floated the plastic and allowed it to get stuck in the hose barb for the fuel line, which in turn allowed the fuel pump to suck the fuel filter and crack it.

Much stress and many beers later I get it all back to normal and continued with my original intent of doing a pressure check so I could replace my third K7 in less than a year. I went with the Giant red spring this time.

So now that my joyous day is over, what caused such a large amount of water in the tank? I hear the Beastie Boys singing "Listen up yall, it's a sabotage"

Sounds like sabotage to me Alan. If your tank is like mine (on a hotsy) which it probably is then there is no way water can get in except someone pouring it in the fill cap or the far out scenario of them pouring it in the fuel pick up line on top of the tank which is just about inacessible.

Take a black permanent marker and put a tic mark on your cap and your tank that line up when tightened. That way if someone does mess with your stuff they wont know to align the tics and you'll know mischief is about.

Richard

OK....I like a good conspiracy theory but it is possible the water went in when the gas was pumped?Check with the gas station you last purchased gas from see if they have had any complaints.On occassion rain water will invade underground fuel tanks during times of heavy rain.If you come to a dead end there... set up a video camera to watch your equipment and catch the punks red handed.Then pour gas on them light them on fire and beat the flames out with a baseball bat

OK....I like a good conspiracy theory but it is possible the water went in when the gas was pumped?Check with the gas station you last purchased gas from see if they have had any complaints.On occassion rain water will invade underground fuel tanks during times of heavy rain.

Since water is heavier than gas I know it did not happen at the gas station, as my machine would not have run the night I filled it up. My fuel lines pull off the bottom of the tank, so they would have sucked water right off.

Mathew,

It is the Giant 25150 rated at 10.5 and 4100psi.I was using a K7 flow, but have now gone with a Giant Red Spring Pressure type. The k7 was great but they keep failng me.

I would thing the line coming from the tank would have a screen on the end of it to keep this problem from happening. It is a good idea to install one if you can. These are usually long flat sock like screens that extend from the end of that barb you are talking about.

I am unaware of the internals of the tank. It has been advised that I should not remove the barb as they can be difficult to get back in. Apparently if removed they sometimes break the threads that are molded into the tank. I had enough bad luck, so I did not want to chance it.

Alan,

Interested to hear your longer term results using the Giant unloader. I've lost one K7 already, and hearing about your experiences with them has not raised my confidence level.

Alan,

Interested to hear your longer term results using the Giant unloader. I've lost one K7 already, and hearing about your experiences with them has not raised my confidence level.

How long have you that machine now? I know yours is better stored than mine since you have the enclosed trailer.

I have run quite a bit of recycled water thru the first one, and not to much on the second, the third one had none and was put on in October.

Mark suggested the ZK1 which is another flow unloader, but supposed to be more durable. I did not have time to order anything and had to take what I could get off the local shelf.

The K7 is rated for 3000 psi on our 3500 psi machines, the KZ1 is rated for 3600 psi. I wonder if that has anything to do with early failure?