Sign in to follow this  
John T

Bigger Enclosed trailer???

I may be in the market to buy a bigger enclosed trailer then the one I have which is 7'x12'. I'm leaning towards an 18-20 footer because I would like to add a ton more things to the inside of it. If I do this I will sell my 12 footer and I will post it here and other bb's first.

So how big of a trailer is to big and what is the best size??

The only problem I have with an extended length trailer is finding places to park it. Especially if you have to take it into residential areas.

My hot water rig is in a 12' now, and I wish it was 16'. Sure bigger is nice to carry everything and the kitchen sink, but in reality, it may be too cumbersome for everyday towing.

I think if I needed something bigger than 16', I'd just go with a box truck.

I agree w/Tony. Being able to negotiate your rig around obstacles and confined areas is an important consideration. How much extra time (minutes) at each job is spent monkeying around w/a bodacious trailer is another. I feel a trailer could be a hinderance, the difference between having the time to get in one extra job before the end of the day or not.

paul

Tony, my thoughts exactly, I know I would not be able to tow anything much bigger than my 6X12 enclosed trailer through some of the narrow streets in the local neighborhoods. I don't need a garage on wheels, just a good size shed, but of course its just my 2 cents worth, and everyone has an opinion.

Wow I think you guys are dramatizing some.

I mean really, how did all the folks in the neighborhoods get moved in? Thet didn't use pick up trucks.

A crew cab truck and a 18' trailer is only 38' long. What is the big deal? You are not going to be parking at a customers house for the rest of your life.

I feel the heat coming! LOL!

Bruce,

I see what you mean with the moving truck issue, but if I parked my equipment like they park those trucks around here, I might get slammed.

I would love to get a 18-20 foot trailer, but many neighborhoods it would be a major issue for parking, but that comes from me, in the land of wall to wall paved everything.

When I go straight commercial, I will consider it.

I attached a pic of my old truck and 12' trailer. As you can see, it just fits between two driveways. My new truck is a foot longer, so it wouldn't even fit between two driveways.

Comparing a moving van to a truck/trailer is apples to oranges.

post-77-137772140977_thumb.jpg

I attached a pic of my old truck and 12' trailer. As you can see, it just fits between two driveways. My new truck is a foot longer, so it wouldn't even fit between two driveways.

I had issues with this problem just this afternoon with a neighborhood where you could literealy jump from roof to roof through the entire neigboorhood and of course the drivways were the same way. I actually had to block the customers driveway because there was barely enough room between driveways to park a mini cooper let alone the kind of rigs you all are discussing.