Sign in to follow this  
Degraffreed

Wood Restoration

Question

Beth,

Maybe you or some wood experts could help me out here.

1. When cleaning Pt wood about 3yrs old no sealer or paint.

I use a percabonate cleaner by Epec.

Wet deck down, apply cleaner with pump up sprayer let dwell 15-30 min, rinse, reapply 2nd coat as an additional brightner process, let dwell for 10 min, then final rinse.

My question to all is this...

I read this board daily and I see that in the wood restoration process after you clean wood then nuetralize it ... to help in the brightning process.

Have I been cleaning decks wrong?

I notice on a few occassions that the wood appears to be darker when cleaning it.

Would applying a nuetralizing solution help with this situation? If so what would that process entail?

Degraffreed

11 answers to this question

Hi Degafreed,

What is the second coat you are applying? Is it still the percarb, or did you switch to an acid?

When you apply an alkaline, the wood can turn darker. When you apply an acid, the process is neutralized, thus brightening the wood by restoring the natural pH.

Step 1 - the alkaline (either a percarb or a stripper depending on what you are doing, both are alkaline)

Step 2- the acid ( oxylic, or citric, or a blend such as citralic)

Rinse thoroughly after each step. Does this help? Keep the questions coming.

Beth

Beth,

That is the step I am missing. Applying the acid step.

What would you suggest out of the three. (Citralic) might be your choice according to the past post?

Is the acid in a liquid state or powder?

How is it applied? Downstream, xjet or pump up sprayer. I do not have a shur flow setup yet.

How long is the dwell time on the citralic com.

DeGrafreed

We use mostly the citralic blend, but have also been known to use oxylic. We use what comes in powder. You can apply using any sprayer, but I would be careful about applying it downstream, since you don't want to etch anything. (that's just my feeling)

You let it dwell 5 to 20 minutes depending on what you are doing, percarb wash vs. strip job. Typically longer on a strip job.

Just remember to rinse....

Give it a try, you will love the results.

Beth

Beth,

Where can I get this Citralic blend? Do your store send out sample pack? I am looking to do a 2700 sq ft fence job next week. I want to try it on my own deck first. What would the amount of Citralic needed to complete a job of this size?

DeGraffreed

Beth And Rod,

Is it ALWAYS necessary to rinse after applying citric or Oxalic neutralizer? What are consequences of not doing so? I sometimes do not rinse after cleaning and neutralizing badly weathered and blackened siding that receives no final finish whatsoever (the natuyral wethaered look is very poular here in Georgia).

Any idea if any harm can come from not doing a final rinsing in such situations? I assume rainwater eventually removes any excess residue from exposed unfinished wood.

Mark

Ageless WoodCare

We always rinse. The salt crystals that can form on the surface as a result of the neutralization process can be unsightly to the homeowner. Also, it is our experience that a thoroughly rinsed surface, is just better prepped for sealing.

Beth

Mark-

I think you would find it helpful to read the following articles. The fist is concerned with the question of rinsing after neutralization. The second touches on the concerns of neutralizing CCA Pressure treated wood.

http://www.esproducts.net/artman/publish/article_9.shtml

http://www.esproducts.net/artman/publish/article_7.shtml

Best of Luck

Russell Cissell

Extreme Solutions, Inc

www.esproducts.net

1-866-536-7393

imrcc1@aol.com

I would like to add one last item to consider about not rinsing a neutralizer.

There is a term of responsibility we all have when using these chemicals to make sure that exposure is limited to the ones working with it and they are using ppe. Consider that a customer is not aware of any residue and could therefore go out or allow their children out onto this surface still containing the neutralizer and become exposed. The burns they could receive and the possiblity of ingestion is very high at this point.

Oxalic acid exposure can lead to sterility in males and other health problems. Its effects go beyond superficial. It inhibits your body's ability to absorb calcium which can lead to osteoporosis (thinning of the bones). It has also been linked to kidney stones.

Personally, I had a great deal of conscience about using strong chemicals because of the many dangers they present. They are harmful to our environment.

Overall, the responsibility is ours since we employ these chemicals to assure that no one is exposed to them. If you decide you need to leave oxalic on a surface unattended for an extended period of time, notify the customer that no one should be allowed access to the area until you have returned to remove it. This is a best management practice we support in our work ethics and I thought it would be beneficial for others to read here.

Rod~