Barry M

extension ladder

What kind of extension ladder  

128 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of extension ladder

• Aluminum
    • Fiberglass
    • Wood

Ladder stabilizers are a must. Another great ladder safety item that I have used for years is the PiVIT ladder tool form Pro Vision. You will wonder what you did without it. You can buy it online at their website, e-bay has a reseller and available at Sherwin Williams and many paint stores.ProVision Tools - Suppliers of PiViT accessories and the Roof Boot.

I use Werner Fiberglass ladders only. I use the 300lb rated. They are over kill for me and are heavier. But last forever.

Ladder Stabilizer is a must.

If you use proper technique one person can easily raise a 32' ext. ladder.

Put the feet of the ladder against the foundation while the ladder is perpendicular to the wall. Go to the top of the ladder, walk it up. Once the ladder is straight up, keck the bottom out.

I have seen some awful techniques out there. And I have also seen some **** poor methods of a groundman holding a ladder.

If anyone has any fire fighter buddies, get them to show you how to raise and hold a ladder.

Just saw this got voted upon and bumped to the top and decided to post a little tid bit.

Bought a new aluminum ladder at Lowes the other day and it has dual leg levelers and a bubble site level. $229. For anyone who has to work on uneven terrain as much as we do, this is a must have.

Rod!~

I've been looking at those levelling ladders... got to be far better than some of the things I do !

Need to dream up one that just clamps on the low side when you need it instead of buying whole ladder.

$100 was ok for the gorilla ladder, but we don't use it much, either. Mostly to scaffold in stairwells.

MOF, don't use the spreader much... too hard to bounch the ladder over a couple feet when you need to... Ha!

r

Werner Fiberglass ladders have held up well for me. 2-24's and a few smaller a frames. I went aluminum on a 40' and that thing is a bear to put up. Lose your balance while putting it up and that babies coming crashing down :)

Greg,

I know the feeling, had it happen to me several times. I usually prop it up against something at the base like against the house or fence to keep it from teeter tottering as I raise it by walking it up from underneath.

Problem is, trees! The branches get hung up in the ladder creating instability as one is trying to move it from place to place.

If you are fortunate enough to have one on the site, use a second man to help with it guys. It can wrench your back otherwise.

Rod!~

Don't buy Werners anymore - they fired all their american workers and moved operations over to mainland china. Louisville ladders are still American made - Greenbull ladders - are american maded - and bauer ladders. I also have a local ladder company near Boston that makes an excellent ladder - lynn ladder. Those are heavy duty beasts!

Don't buy Werners anymore - they fired all their american workers and moved operations over to mainland china. Louisville ladders are still American made - Greenbull ladders - are american maded - and bauer ladders. I also have a local ladder company near Boston that makes an excellent ladder - lynn ladder. Those are heavy duty beasts!

I lilke aluminum ladders best.They are tough,light,takes a beating,resistant to uv,all together fiber glass not worth it.:lgangry::lgwave:Marko