Barry M

extension ladder

What kind of extension ladder  

128 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of extension ladder

• Aluminum
    • Fiberglass
    • Wood

Are wooden extension ladders even available anymore? I can remember my Grandfather having one.

My ladders are:

1-40' aluminum

1-24' fiberglass

1-16' fiberglass

1-multifold aluminum extension ladder (excellent for steps)

1-8' fiberglass stepladder

2-6' fiberglass stepladder

Robert

I admit, I use the wooden ladder. It was passed down from my grandfather's grandfather. He built it his self by widdling it out of a mighty redwood. When I need to use it I have to rent a crane to help me position it. ;)

For a one-man operation, a long fiberglass ladder is too heavy and unwieldy. I used to use to have a 20' fiberglass beat me up, but sometimes it wasn't long enough and I would rent. I now carry a 28' alum, much easier to maneuver. I always use extensions.

I've been using a 24' fiberglass for quite awhile with a stabilizer and have loved it. Last week, however, I had an opportunity to use an aluminum Little Giant....I'll be buying one of those VERY soon!

Hey Ryan, I wondered if anyone would give the Little Giant a thumbs up. Did it seem like it was heavy duty enough? I finally went with a 28' aluminum that I picked up used for $70. I still need a good 8' step ladder for x-jetted 3 stories.

I have 2 Little Giant ladders along w/ all of the gizmos to go with it. I have a 24' & a smaller one, can't remember the exact size. I also have a 12' Werner step ladder that is fiberglass. The LG is not a light ladder. Werner also makes a ladder now that is almost identical to the LG. I'm a big guy, so I have to have a 300# rated ladder.

I think they sell that Werner, Little G look alike at Lowes. Looks like the same setup, but who knows, as far as durability. Also, the Werner look alike model is only a 17' where as the Little G can be purchased in: 17', 22', and 26', I think.

I purchased a little giant 'type' ladder from home depot (not the same brand). It was $200 bucks but was extremely heavy! I saw that LG infomercial and it looks like there's is much lighter ( since i saw a 75 yr old grandma lifting it ). I used it once and returned it. Too Darn Heavy but was quite effective in use. Unfortunately I dont know the name brand... If the LG was lighter, i'd buy it.

The Little Giant ladders are cheaper on the net than on tv by about $100. Try the yahoo shopping link to see the difference.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=ApjKLErc7Y._4jl4zu0FU8IEgFoB;_ylu=X3oDMTBhNjRqazhxBHNlYwNzZWFyY2g-?p=little+giant&did=

If that link doesnt work, I went to yahoo.com, clicked shopping and searched for Little Giant...

I purchased a little giant 'type' ladder from home depot (not the same brand). It was $200 bucks but was extremely heavy! I saw that LG infomercial and it looks like there's is much lighter ( since i saw a 75 yr old grandma lifting it ). I used it once and returned it. Too Darn Heavy but was quite effective in use. Unfortunately I dont know the name brand... If the LG was lighter, i'd buy it.

My brother in law bought the real deal. It was by no means light...

I just bought this ladder from Home Depot. It is called a Gorilla Ladder. It is a Little Giant knockoff. Seems to work fine but it is pretty heavy. For me the extra functionality is worth the extra weight.

Mike

I have a Little Giant, cost $425.00 from Amazon.com. I really like it, except when I have to move it, or extend it. It is heavy and cumbersome. But it is very stable, even extended fully. The real reason I bought it was a ladder rack for my Sprinter was $1400.00. The Little Giant fits inside, against a storage bin.

I have a Little Giant, cost $425.00 from Amazon.com. I really like it, except when I have to move it, or extend it.

That's like saying: "I have a new truck I really like it, except when I have to drive it." lol.....okay, I'm bustin your balls a little bit, it just sounded funny when I read your post. Seriously though, I understand what your saying. Thanks for being honest about it instead of just saying the Little Giant is the best thing since sliced bread.

Sorry for giving you a hard time I just hate when someone bumps this thread to the top cause my dumbass didn't know how to spell ladder that morning. lol

I have a 14' Gorilla Fiberglass...Basically a Little Giant rip off by Home Cheapo...I just bought a 28' Fiberglass Werner Extension Ladder, The Aluminum one weighed 5 pounds less, but Years ago I was a cable dude and saw a guy get burnt up real good using an aluminum ladder...Wish I didn't need a ladder but not all of us can have a bucket truck to clean decks..lol