Sign in to follow this  
Coop

starting business, is this a good unit?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200241574&R=200241574

I am new to this. Like most people starting out all I have used is the smaller pressure washers that do an OK job on concrete, but mostly used them on the cars. I am wanting to be able to do just about anything, residential, commercial, fleet. I will be getting a hot water unit eventually, but I am looking at this cold water unit right now.

comes from Northern Tool. Has a 2 year warranty, seems pretty good.

-Any thoughts?

-Anywhere I can get it cheaper?

-Better one out there for the price?

-Will I have good reliablitly with this unit?

Get a belt driven unit like this one.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=523786&R=523786&issearch=157822

It will last much longer. Direct drives wear out much faster because the pump is operating at the same RPM's as the engine and it is also prone to vibration. I was in your shoes a few weeks ago, and my start up budget was tight. I decided not to purchase a few things until I was profitable so I could afford a belt driven unit instead of the $1000 direct drive unit I was looking at. The more I read these posts and other peoples opinions I'm glad I did. My .02 cents.

I agree belt dirves are a far better buy for the extra money, but I've been using a direct drive for 2 years now and have had no problems with pump, and I run the heck out it.

hmmmm, so we are 50/50 on this one now. I would really rather get the cheaper unit at this time, as I could always upgrade down the road when I start making money. Plus, I figure I would be upgrading within 2 years, and it has a 2 year warranty on it, which I hope would cover the pump, granted I know I would have down time if it broke, but the one with the belt could break for some reason too.

Lets increase the ratio shall we. I would go for the belt drive. It lasts longer and more reliable. Granted the one your looking at has a warranty but think of the down time you will have when you need to get it fixed. Buying a washer from a place like Northern Tool they may have to send it somewhere to get fixed which means you wait and cant make money. I have a direct drive cold washer for back up only and use my belt drive hotwater everyday.

Richard

I figure that when I buy soemthing mailorder, I am the warranty center because I cannot afford the downtime. I have run direct drives, and gear boxes. I have had the best luck with belt drive. In the time I would be replacing the pump on a direct drive, I am doing the packings on a belt.

Scott Stone

I ran the crap out of my direct drive 3600 psi 4 gpm for well over a year and had no problems with it. If money is tight up front then there is nothing wrong with going this route if you are going to be cleaning houses and such. I'd go to a warehouse store or big box like HD and get the 4gpm unit and put money into extra hoses and an Xjet. Make plenty of money with this unit (and learn lots of stuff) then go buy a belt drive when this one wears out. Or sell it before then.

HD now sells a four yr. warranty with their machines for an extra hundred bucks or so, i buy those all the time, I've probably owned 20, they tear up, I return in the time frame, no (not many at least) questions asked. They've been stricter on it here recently (last few yrs)

COOP-

I am in Sanford. The machine I run is a HOTSY 4.5gpm 3000psi. I am from the god blessed west coast where there are many hotsy dealers. The nearest one to me is Woodlands(maybe Charlotte) damn near Virgina. Needless to say I can get by on my own.

Theres many out there to choose from. It is definetly a buyers market.

Richard

I don't think that warranty is suppose to cover commercial use only regular homeowner use. Maybe I'm wrong. Coop if you can't afford the belt drive now than don't get it, but you asked is there a "better one out there for the price?" Well for a few hundred extra bucks a belt drive is a far better investment. I had to ask myself, am I doing this long term or short term? It's the long haul for me. I plan to upgrade to a nice hot water unit too, but I still will need a dependable cold water unit for certain jobs and I know my belt drive will be there for me for years to come.

If money is tight buy the direct drive. As Ryan stated above, before you will ever manage to ware out that direct drive, you should have things rolling good enough to easily afford a better machine. As a stated above, I currenty have a direct drive 4gpm and I run it at least 8 hours a day for most of the past two years (more so the last year as things have picked up for my business) and have not had any problems. In the very near future I will be purchasing some a hot water belt driven machine and now, unlike two years ago, I can easily afford it. I feel I made the right choice when starting my business with the less expensive machine, but its up to you. I will say that if there is anyway possible of swinging the extra couple of hundred dollars for the belt driven machine it definitely would'nt hurt.

Coop, all valid points.....get the machine you can afford, because there will be more expenses than just the machine (ie: more hose, supply hose, guns, different length wands, extension wand, variety of nozzles to adjust impact pressure, chems, x-jet, chem buckets, gas cans, the list can go on and on and on, including expenses like a trailer, advertising signs-newspaper-flyers, insurance,truck) anyway, you see the point.......

I would prefer less pressure 3000 or 3500 vs. the 4000 and up the GPM to 4 vs. the 3.5 advertised on the machine from northern...... the noticeable difference between 3500 and 4000 psi is barely there, but 4gpm is nice (as a minimum) 5 or 5.5 would be awesome but then your looking at a big time machine which is what you will be upgrading to in the future (as will I)

good luck

Get a belt driven unit like this one.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=523786&R=523786&issearch=157822

It will last much longer. Direct drives wear out much faster because the pump is operating at the same RPM's as the engine and it is also prone to vibration. I was in your shoes a few weeks ago, and my start up budget was tight. I decided not to purchase a few things until I was profitable so I could afford a belt driven unit instead of the $1000 direct drive unit I was looking at. The more I read these posts and other peoples opinions I'm glad I did. My .02 cents.

I've been using the heck of of that unit (belt drive) for over a year now. Not a single problem. In fact, it's rolling out this morning to start a 165 unit apartment complex.

Coop - give us a call - we're only over in Graham (bought 25 miles) have some insight on some complete used trailer setups - also call Joe @ CST in Randleman.....they repair & sell chems, tell him we sent you.

Celeste

PS - We have a labor for learning policy if you ever want some hands on experience......just ask Richard :)

Celeste

COOP-just dont let Celeste talk you into working a 40 hour week for learning sakes. Shes a REAL SWEET talker, Watch out....LOL Just kidding Celeste

thanks for all the advice guys/gals. I think I am going to go with the direct drive. I figure it is good enough to get the business going, and when it takes off, I'll sell it and get a bigger unit with belt drive.

what is the x-jet? I've heard it talked about on this site.

I have four cold water machines, three are direct drive, one is belt drive. The oldest one, the red one in the pictures, had a cat pump that lasted 7 years. The AR pump on it now is going on 3 years old.

The black direct drive is 5 years old and still has the original AR pump. The belt drive is 9 years old and still has the original General pump.

The machine will the smallish frame, I picked up last year used for almost nothing. It has a Giant pump.

All the machines have Honda engines, and all have Mobil 1 synthetic oil installed. All get the pump oil changed twice a season.

I like the direct drives because they are lighter and better balanced, making them easier to drag around.

I would never sell any of these machines because you can never have too many backup machines, and you never know when multiple machines will be needed. Think big...and you'll get there.

post-77-137772142166_thumb.jpg

post-77-137772142168_thumb.jpg

post-77-137772142173_thumb.jpg

An xjet is a device that allow you to shoot soap over 20 feet at higher concentrations. A must have for house washing, and really any application where you need to apply large amounts of chems at high ratios, in a fast manner.

post-77-137772142177_thumb.jpg

thanks for all the advice guys/gals. I think I am going to go with the direct drive. I figure it is good enough to get the business going, and when it takes off, I'll sell it and get a bigger unit with belt drive.

You'll do fine with the direct drive...... but like Tony said, you wont need to sell it later...keep that as a backup or for jobs that require a mobile smaller machine. good luck !!!

Hey Coop,

Never mind what I said about Richard! Give us a call, we've got a brick & vinyl house tomorrow (Friday) with some flatwork - you can see our machines, see the x-jet a work, see the difference a surface cleaner can make, see the difference between hot & cold water - Just about anything you'd want demonstrated or want to TRY OUT, you could do it with about a 25 minute drive! If tomorrow is too soon for you to try to roll over, we have this type stuff EVERY WEEK! If you're interested in wood - that's on the books next week.

Celeste :)

PS - We also have a guy here with a trailer for sale - full set up. We were thinking about buying but, 3 trailers? Don't quite need that yet :) It would be worth looking at for the price he's asking.

COOP,

It would be very wise to meet up with Roger and Celeste they are both very knowlgeable and willing to help. They have taught me alot about brick cleaning and wood work. They both are great people and good friends of mine.

Richard

PS - We also have a guy here with a trailer for sale - full set up. We were thinking about buying but, 3 trailers? Don't quite need that yet :) It would be worth looking at for the price he's asking.

I bought a setup last year that was also priced way too low. I use the 6x10 trailer for storage. It allows me to buy certain products in larger quantities and be able to store it offsite.

If the deal is really good, you can keep some stuff and sell other stuff. Trailers don't really lose much money after they reach a certain depreciation level.

cool deal guys/gals. celeste, I will have to take you up on that soon, right now I am super busy with my regular, be that crapy, job. I am trying to piece together everything so I can get this business off the gound.

Good deal Coop - we're not going anywhere anytime soon (knocking on wood really hard right now LOL) I'll touch base with the seller on Monday - heading out of town early Friday morning and then get in touch with you afterward to fill you in on the details. One nice thing when you're looking at a used unit is to try to find one close enough to you to be able to really check it out (or have someone that can do it for you). Email or pm me your phone number.

Celeste