Sign in to follow this  
PLD

Help with PPE, particularly eye protection.

After a year of pressure washing, I have finally decided that not wearing eye protection is a pretty dumb. And, it's not just my keen insight into the future that lead me here. After long days my eyes are pretty watery and blury (like too much pool time when you were a kid).

Anyway, I started with clear poly impact glasses. They worked pretty good but I could never manage to keep them clean enough to see.

Next was a pair of "splash googles" suitable for chemical use and marketed as anti-fog. They look alot like your typical high school lab glasses and were anything but anti-fog. I was completely unable to see within 30 seconds of putting them on. Into the can they went, and another day without eyewear.

Today, I looked hard at a flip down full face shield. Looks like a clear welding helmet. Often seen in the medical field as a "splatter shield". Looks very promising, but it's is un-useable with the two big canisters sticking off the front of my face (I have a half face respirator from Lowes that works great except it's a bit heavy on the bridge of my nose).

All that said... I don't mind getting a full face if it will not fog (for certain) and I can get it locally. I'd like a solution that I can get my hands on pretty quickly (tomorrow). It has to be one that will work with (or in place of) my respirator.

Thoughts?

Why not wrap around clear safety glasses with rain-x applied to the lenses. Northern Tool has a snazy looking full face respirator item #174749-2505. Would work great with a good coat of rain-x on the lens.

Richard

If you have a grainger in your area or not (grainger.com) they have a really nice full face respirator made by North. I've been using mine for about a year now and it works great. I went through all of the same options as you and was finally satisfied with the North full face. Its not cheap. somewhere in the 120.00 or 130.00 range.

At 120'ish, I assume you mean the 6000 series. That's the one I have my eye on as well. $120 is a bit of money, but nothing compared to blindness, emphesema, or lung cancer... Which cartridges are you using?

Its the North 5400. not as much as I stated above 102.00 I think I thought it was more because I bougth the cardriges and a siphon at the same time. Speaking of cartridges, I've been using cartridge part #4RM18.

sporting goods stores like "Dicks" or even Walmarts that sell shooting supplies sell anti-fog stuff for shooting glasses, which works pretty good..... I like the wrap around amber shooting glasses, with the vented sides..... they're obviously better for impact then chems, but they fit well with a respirator on....

I highly recommend a full face respirator. why have to mess with two things (respirator and eye protection). Also the viewability (don't know if thats a word)is much better with a face sheild verses any type of googels.

Sorry - we do new brick construction and use acid every day :) I guess it might confuse Suzy Q. Homeowner if you're telling her that your housewash is gentle, won't harm the environment, etc... as you were donning your full face respirator :)

Celeste

What is it that you use on houses that that can kill you

Chlorine for one. There are many chemicals that you can make contact with on occasion without any problems, but when your in the business and are exposed to chemicals every day you have to be safe.

Wait one here.

I was wondering if those slight headache that I experience after washing homes for a few hours per day could be a result of the 12.5% chlorine that I am constantly using.

If what I am reading from the post, is that this ( inhalation) could be bad for you? My headache seem to go away after I am done with a home.

If what I am reading is true, could I just use one of those white dust mask that I use when I cut grass to cut done on the sneezing bout I have after cutting grass. Would these work?

I have four house washes this weekend and maybe If I am going to be in this long term, I better do something about covering my nose.

I use a hardhat with a full face clear shield to keep the chlorine out of my face and eyes. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Degraffreed

Buy a respirator with the appropriate filters. The white dust masks will not keep the harmful chlorine particals from penatrating into your lungs, and yes, your headaches are most likely due to the chlorine. Don't wait until you develope nasty coughing fitts from just the slightest exposure, which can happen over time.

Hey- last year The Huskey had two national champs!!

damn right they did (born and raised in East Hartford, CT) but they choked on it this year !!!!

back to your regularly programed thread: I like the face shield for mixing stuff in the buckets, respirator for the nasty stuff, acids, etc....never worn it washing a house though........ the full face shield is nice for when crap like pebbles etc flies back and smacks me in the head !!!!

Chemical fumes = coughing, burning, and maybe eventually lung cancer

Even worse, some chems we use like Butyl are toxic without any significant "pain". You may realize the affects of long term inhalation when the x-ray comes back with a funny spot on it...

CCPC, What kind of respirator do you suggest. Lowe/HD type with the triangle filter cartridge. Any particular kind.

Let me understand this, use respirator on housewashing when using 12% or if your using

I came across this thread in a search and wanted bring it back to the top.

I know that when I don't use my respirator doing normal housewashing I end up with an irritated throat, shortness of breath, and a jacked-up caffiene buzz at the end of the day. When I do wear it, none of this. I'm sure we all have different levels of reaction to bleach as I'm only part-time now not doing anywhere near the volume some of you do...I may just have more of a sensitivity. (did I just say that? Don't tell my wife:) )

The $35 AOSafety model just KILLS the bridge of my nose and isn't large enough for me. I'm shopping now for an upgrade....my local Grainger probably has one for me. Out of a 3-hour wash, I may have it on 30-min at most. I loop it over my cell phone pouch on my belt and only put it on if i'm mixing, doing overheads on porches or if the wind is nasty in the wrong direction.