Sign in to follow this  
Degraffreed

Leaking Area

Could someone who has some understanding of the mechanic of the coil housing area help me out here.

Last week I was doing a house wash and I noticed a puddle under my rear trailer area. I went and looked to find the leak and I noticed that small drips of water was coming from under my coil housing area. If I am not mistaken, the coil housing unit consist of the coil only. No fittings inside that could vibrate loose, or break. The coil is serpintine is form. Could I be getting condensation inside the housing from run hot the rinsing cold.

My unit is a trailer mounted Delco rk41 for those who needs a little more info to help diagnose the problem. I am pretty familar with the other components of my unit. Just not the coil area. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Degraffreed

You do actually have 2 nipples that run through the skin to the coil. I have had 2 leakers in the past week with nipple problems. One chafed through on the edge of the skin, the other cracked right where it entered the coil. Went to remove it and it broke off flush with the coil. Thank God for easy outs.

I called Delco last week and the tech said it was condensation but is there REALLY that much condensation inside the housing. Or Per Russ's suggestion that it may be a leaking nipple. I have posted a pic of my Rig in the Gallery, to view my set up I may have to take the Smoke stack and the adapter then the housing shell to get in there. I do not want to do all that if it just condensation. I will place a towel or bucket under the housing and monitor it this weekend.

Degraffreed

Or it could be really ugly. Had any cold snaps lately? I hope foryour sake it is just a nipple. Had one myself a couple of days ago, but the dire thing is that the coil could have a weld that is leaking, or it got a stress crack, or it forze and put a tiny hole in the coil.

Scott