Sign in to follow this  
tropical wave

Deck Estimate Question

Question

Deck Estimate Question

Looked at a deck in a NICE area. Its a pretty big structure, about 10 years old, gray, mold, mildew and really dried out....had a clear waterproofer applied 5 years ago by the homeowner, can't tell now!!!!

anyway, it's awkwardly shaped with an octagon upper platform (used to be a gazeebo, just the base remains)...... I used two different methods of pricing and they were close to each other, but if I could get some estimate feedback, that would be outstanding.........it'll need a good percarb bath, ox and ready seal............

octagon floor is 149 sq ft

main deck floor is 559 sq ft

total flooring sq ft is 708

additional sq ft, benches 44, steps (step and risers) 31, 106 spindles, fascia all around is about 86 sq ft, flower pots etc etc

all said and done its "about" 976 sq ft, maybe more as some little stuff here and there wasnt measured....came in between $1,100.92 and $1,376.16.............

pics to follow.....what do you folks think??

8 answers to this question

Micael,

I think your prices are right on, and if you had to go to $900 to get the job 'cause you needed it, you'd get by too. Especially if you don't have insurance, etc. If you do the job for $1000, your chem/stain costs will probably be around $350. Depending on your skill level, you may have 10hrs invested in this job once completed, including some drive time. That leaves you with a profit of $65 an hour, which isn't real bad starting out. Of course, once you pay for biz stuff, etc., you won't bring home close to that. If you need the work, don't be afraid of the low end ($900), if not, a bid closer to $1300 would be closer to professional pricing. Good luck, let us know if you get it, oh, and if using RS to stain, consider using their brightener as well, works better than anything else, and with RS, you need the wood to be as bright as humanly possible.

jon

thanks for the replies everyone.....jon, we are paying insurance, and not booked full....(yet, I hope)

stopped by the homeowners this afternoon and dropped of the estimate (came out to $1,100) also dropped off color samples for sealer and other miscl stuff, like deck light brocures, he was initially interested in maybe getting those installed also..................the price per sq ft actually came out to like $1,376 or something like that, then reduced by X% for a "new customer" discount because I want the job especially in the neighborhood it is in, so the $1,100 seemed ok, I guess we'll see if we get it.......if we dont hear from him in a couple of days, Ill give him a call

thanks again

Be careful of calling him too soon. It may give him incentive to try and bring the price down.

havent heard from him yet......got 2 decks lined up since I bid on that one... we will see.....You think a week is a good amount of time to wait it out ? I'm sure he has others coming out to give an estimate.....

It doesn't hurt to call after a week he should have made up his mind by now.I like seeing how low someone is if they under bid me atleast you will see what you are up against.

Also try to find out what kind of sealer they want to put on his deck if it's junk or not. :cool:

we may be getting snow flurries tonight mixed with rain, he's probably not even thinking about his deck right now...LOL

Ill give him till monday and shoot him a call and see where we are at.....If we didnt get it, Ill sure try to find out why......