Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Working together with other companies

I have been talking with another company that does home improvements about possibly working out some kind of working relationship where you could work together with a common goal of offering more services for your customers by having someone you can refer them to and they could refer customers your way as well. Also maybe working together in advertising as well. This way the 2 companies could spend less money and make more money.

Has anyone done this in the past and how did it work out for you and your company?

Somthing that can work out to be really good for multiple tradesman is to form group with other tradesman such as lawn guys, plumbers, electricians, carpenters and have only one company representing each trade in the group and feed off of each others refferals. there was a group such as this in my area that I had the opportunity to join, but didn't (don't know why). They would meet once a week at a local coffee shop and discuss information and opportunities.

I've done both of the things you guys are talking about and they work quite well if you find the right people. I've got three other companies that have added power washing to their list of services they advertise and just refer any calls to us. I in turn do the same thing for them. it works well and you cut down your costs while increasing your circulation.

Thanks for the replies. So it has worked out well then? It sure would be nice to be able to do the work yourself and make more money, but I think this might be the next best thing, while still offering more for your customers.

We've been "invited" to join multiple BNI (Business Networking somethings) - boils down to a "good ole boys network" There's only one of each trade in the group and each refers to each other. We're deciding if it's worth the $395/year to join one, not to mention the 6:30 AM meetings once a week or so!

On another side, we have teamed up with a deck builder (that's all he does) as well as two fencing companies. This seems to be working nicely. Got a deck ($1500+ and a fence just in the past week) At Henry's suggestion, we also hooked up with a paint company who wastes their painters time trying to prep - they'll call us now to do the pressure washing and free up their painters to do what makes them the money (and reduces their liability as well <---- nice sell point to the paint company)

Celeste

what do painters pay you for a prep? I had a couple approach me and they wanted to give me $20/hr + expenses.

I wouldnt think you would like that Ken. While the $20.00 per hour may be ok for your labor and experience it does not cover the wear and tear on your machines and equipment.

We won't be paid by the painter - they refer the washes to us......which, uh, we haven't gotten one yet but we're so busy anyway I 've not been too worried about it either :)

Celeste

I work for some painters.....at one point they realized that I do a much better job......plus they don't have to get wet and dirty.

I get called, by the painter, to give my price on a potential job then they factor it into their proposal. I know them both personally and we like to working together b/c we can rely on eachother.

We've been "invited" to join multiple BNI (Business Networking somethings) - boils down to a "good ole boys network" There's only one of each trade in the group and each refers to each other. We're deciding if it's worth the $395/year to join one, not to mention the 6:30 AM meetings once a week or so!

Celeste, I've been to one of these!

Didn't like the setup at all........found it to be too regimented and there was way too much emphasis put on weekly presentations.........written leads for the other companies........etc.

I was not impressed at all.

I wouldnt think you would like that Ken. While the $20.00 per hour may be ok for your labor and experience it does not cover the wear and tear on your machines and equipment.

Exactly, Mike. Of the $20 an hour, I might net $10. No thanks.