Sign in to follow this  
TNTPW

F-18

Question

13 answers to this question

F-18 is a stripper - if you are only removing mold and mildew, you can use something far less aggressive. If you have a finish to remove that has mold & mildew, then yes it will. If you want to keep your finish intact and get rid of the mold and mildew - don't go with the stripper :) A sodium percarbonate cleaner will handle that nicely. Now for the bleach guys........................

Hey CarolinaproWash. got any suggestions of what i could use. I have 5 decks. No stain on any of them, real real real real heavy mold and mildew.

But the percarb will kill the growth.

Personally, I would stick to the percarb and avoid the stripper, otherwise depending on the species, you may fuzz the wood up when you could otherwise avoid it.

Percarb, followed by a neutralizer/brightener, rinse, rinse rinse....

Beth :groovy3: :cup:

But the percarb will kill the growth.

Personally, I would stick to the percarb and avoid the stripper, otherwise depending on the species, you may fuzz the wood up when you could otherwise avoid it.

Percarb, followed by a neutralizer/brightener, rinse, rinse rinse....

Beth :groovy3: :cup:

Are you saying the hydroxide chems won't kill the growth? If that is true, I am in trouble. For heavy organic growth, I use HD-80 on untreated decks at 3 oz per gal and let dwell ten mins. I put percarb down on a deck that was so thick with mold, a scraper blade was full of it after an eight inch path. I had percarb down (str8 percarb not EFC-38) and after 45 mins of dwell it was diminished but the deck was still slimy and green.

Not saying that at all. Sometimes we prefer the more gentle approach, it is better for the wood. Minimize the exposure of the harsher chems. If you can do the job with a percarb on a deck that is just grey and has no finish, we would do it that way. We prefer to not strip a deck that doesn't need stripping.

Beth :groovy: :cup:

p.s. if we are talking pressure treated lumber here, and it is new wood, also keep in mind that the green you may still be seeing, can be the chems used to pressure treat the wood. We have seen that phenomenon as well.

Sodium Hydroxide will aid in the removal of mold and mildew. Understand in tests that NO chemical removes 100% of the mold and mildew anyway. When there is heavy mold and mildew there are usually a lot of other factors involved like dirt and debris as well. Bleach will react with the first thing it comes in contact with. More often than not on decks in this condition you would end up washing twice with bleach to get the desired finished product. I agree and practice what Ken stated, go right to the stripper and just weaken your dilution. Saves time and if mixed right will not fur up the deck, be careful of what Beth said though and do not mix it like you were removing a stain or sealer.

Everett, we have done that too. For the HD-80 we drop it down to about 2 oz per gallon if we approach it like that. Works great. If you control your dwell time, you won't fuzz up the wood, and you clean at a lower cost.

I want to clarify in my last post, that if you are new to wood care and are not expereinced, I would err on the side of caution and use the percarb, and get used to your tools. As you get used to them, then it becomes easier to use the ones that can booger up a job if used incorrectly. If you are new and go right for the big artillery, and if you leave it on for too long, you will have fuzzies to deal with, and potentially add sanding time or defelting time to the return trip.

Beth