Sign in to follow this  
glock40

Pressure washing decks

Question

Hey all ,

Since I have been powerwashing and staining decks I have noticed that when i powerwash a deck . I get that weathered look out of it and the natural color comes back. After washing it I notice that the pressure washer does not get all of the weatered look out. So what I am trying to say is it has some gray on it still.

What am I doing wrong is it that im not hitting it with the washer enough? I am using a 3200 psi honda washer with a 30% tip. Also I apply the stain in the areas of the rails and spindles and i get blotty spots can anyone help with this as well. Everything I do is by hand and brush. I would love to cut my time in half any suggestions with power equipment?

THANKS GUYS

15 answers to this question

What chemical are you cleaning with? Sounds like you are just using water at 3200 psi? If that's the case, you get what you put into it. Try the proper cleaners, and 1000 psi @ 5 gpm, and you'll be amazed.

I sincerely hope this does not start something but I can not let this go by. I hope others that read this post will learn from it moving forward. glock 40 while I respect your entrepeneurship it is this type of practice that is hurting the industry and giving professionals a black eye. Before any of the "you have to learn sometime" folks jump on the bandwagon here I want to be a constructive critic. glock 40 before you have even done ONE deck, even if it was your own, you should have educated yourself prior to asking these questions. It is my opinion that anyone using 3200 psi on a deck is a "vandal" providing "vandalism" as a service, and not wood restoration. My advice would be to stop and use the search functions on the bulletin boards, try to team up with a local contractor, take a class, or make some calls to helpful contractors. As dk34 mentioned about chemicals, it would be beneficial to learn more about them and their applications in wood restoration along with safety practices. I would be more than happy to help you. I would rather help than see the post you made with the practices you seem to be using. If I am misinterpreting any of the information I apologize, my reply is meant to be helpful.

Louie (Glock40),

I share Everett's concerns, and support his outreach to you. Please stop to learn the correct method if you are truly just washing with water and high pressure.

Go here: www.pwna.org and look into membership. Then contact Everett and see when he will next be holding a bootcamp for wood restoration. In the meantime, ask many questions, and listen to the answers. Don't second guess those who have already had the headaches. Know what I mean?

Washing with just pressure is harmful to the property you are working on. If you have not yet done it, get liability insurance. Call Joe Walters. You can reach him here: http://www.dcs1.com/jwalters/

There are many very good, seasoned folks here who will help you to succeed, if you let them.

Beth

glock, go to the wood restoration forum and read ALL the pages...there's plenty of them......lots of super information within, lots of answers to questions you don't even have yet.......and more questions will come to mind as you read.... also, take notes while your reading, because so much info will clog your brain and you'll forget what you've read......

good luck and happy studying !!!

Thanks for the reply guys, every word helps I may have posted the questions wrong. I dont use a full 3200 psi on the deck I just wanted to share what type of unit I use. I normally use for a cleaner zep. But for some reason it still will not remove the wethered look. Sorry about the bad post guys and thanks again always

No problem, Glock. At least you are here trying to learn the right way.. A couple of guys on here say it best when they say "Homeonwer products gets you homeowner results"

You need to get some HD-80, F-18, or other contractor strength wood stripping chemicals. Can't get those at Home Depot unfortunately.

Thanks to everybody for helping me I cant say thank you enough I want to learn and become vets like you all. I hope I didnt not offend anyone by being a newbie and trying to start a biz. If anyone sees the thread on deck stripping step by step please forward it to me I tried to find it in the wood restoration forum area.

Also looking to purchase the chemicals from a good dealer anyone know where to buy it wholesale.

glock40,

At least you are here and moving forward are trying to better yourself. I see contractors out there blasting away each week. The worst part of this is when you try and talk to them they come off with a higher than mighty attitude and the conversation dead ends, that is ignorance. Good luck in your learning and if I can be of any help I meant what I stated earlier, just give a call.

thanks everett Hey can I take you up on that offer? How about a step by step thread on deck stripping and staining?

Glock, welcome to the Board. I see from this thread and other threads you are trying to learn. Alot of the questions you ask have been answered many many times on this board and others. The best advice I can offer to you at this time is to read and study and learn by reading more. There is so much information out here and I promise you 99% of your questions could be answered by reading the many threads in the many different forums here and on other boards.

The last thing you want to do is learn by making mistakes on someones property, destroying your image and possible getting you a lawsuit for damages.

There are also many companys out there that will let you come and work with them, and learn how to do the job, teaching you for free in exchange for your time and labor and willingness to learn. Nothing beats hands on training!

There is also bootcamps out there that you can learn alot from as well.

There are alot of people here that are more then willing to help you in anyway they can, take time to read the threads, and then ask away. I encourage you to keep participating here and keep learning! :D

ZEP is horriable you have more figured out that most just the wrok chemical

Homedepot may carry M1 deck and roof cleaner it is expensive but it works.

i think the green tip works the best.

The color of the tip is irrelevant to the measured pressure leaving the nozzle. The colors indicate spray width, not pressure drops. You are looking for a nozzle with a larger orifice to reduce your pressure. I find a number 15 to work well with a 5.6 gpm machine for wood if you are using the right chems and dwell time.

The colors indicate spray width, not pressure drops. You are looking for a nozzle with a larger orifice to reduce your pressure.

An important distinction! Thank you Ken.

Beth :cup: :sunshine: