Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

The best way to seal wood... ?

Question

It's been mentioned by Everett and James and I have heard before that the best of all world's is to apply a penetrating oil followed by a film former. A friend of mine John Hyatt, a true deck building craftsman is constantly telling me the way to seal is to build coats of TWP. Perhaps he has stumbled onto something. This guys has been around decks longer than most of us (25+ years) He swears to me that his decks hold up three and four years without needing recoating. I am guessing that by applying wet on dry he is forming a film on the surface. He constantly asks me to try it, he says he knows I will be a believer. Of course eventual stripping might be an issue but we have the chemicals to do it.

Check out his decks if you doubt the quality of his work.

http://www.deckmastersllc.com/

6 answers to this question

Ken,

If decks are in some harsh climates,I would idealy like to to light clean and reseal once a year.I'm talking mostly PT decks by the way,cedar decks I would think need just the same care if not more.These decks just dry out so bad in all this hot sun.

I've never seen a deck with multiple coats of stain especially oil base but my guess it will get really DARK.You have to at least clean the deck every other year between restaining.

You have some people that live in the boonies and have trees everywhere.These decks will get dirty very quickly and will require cleaning atleast once a year.

Oh yeah the less you strip a deck the better!! :cool:

Ken- Twp is not film forming or the 100,200 ,500 are not. Those woods he uses are difficult to get any penitration of any product except the 100 series. Which has the least amount of solids. If any of these products form a film you have put to much on. If you want talk some time give me a buzz.

I have seen decks with multiple coats of TWP 100 series, and by about the third coat, they look more like a paint, the semi-transparent affect is gone, and you pretty much don't see the woodgrain anymore. Same thing goes with Penofin.

I use 200+ gallons of TWP per season, and I would consider TWP a penetrating film. TWP should be stripped before reapplication, which classifies it more as a filmer than a pentrating oil. It does not behave like Ready Seal, for example, which can be cleaned and a second coat applied on the first.