Sign in to follow this  
CLASSICPW

cedar deck finish

Question

I washed a cedar deck the other day. It was about 15 yrs old and the homeowner washed it 10 yrs ago with about 3000 psi and has been destroying it with thomsoms since then.........nightmare. The deck was black and some areas has full grown lichens, moss and heavy mold. The deck, after I washed it with a heavy concentrate of efc-38, was so furry it looked like a grizzly bear.(very low pressure) They understand the"rustic" look of old cedar and want a clear sealer. I tried to talk them out of it, but I've never sealed old cedar deck. What's a good sealer for an aged cedar deck in everyone's opinion?

5 answers to this question

Jamie, you have been using SRD right? That's a long oil alkyd. You can use that. Sikkens has a grey tone as well, is that what they mean by rustic?

Show them the swatches. A clear would not be good for the wood by itself, no UV protection.

Beth

I have the SRD in natural lined up for the job, I was just wondering if there's anything out there for cedar that's better. 95% of my jobs are PT so I don't get much cedar, redwood etc..As far as rustic, I mean the discoloration of older cedar from tannin stains, nail runs, you know.

Jaime, test a small spot for color. Cedar can be funny the way it takes sealers, especially when it's older. On a couple of cedar decks I did using Tux they came out orange-y. Yet on my cedar sample board, the Tux looks fine.

Jamie,

The SRD is great on Cedar, so is the Aussie Oil.

The tannin stains will be reduced in the neutralizing/brightening stage.

The UV damage will not, and the deck will be darker rather than lighter if these are older more neglected boards.

Have fun, post pics!

Beth :groovy2: