Sign in to follow this  
Claude Hawkins

Anatomy of a Lurker

Question

I am a lurker on this BBS. But I hope to moderate my lurking behavior, somewhat, with this first message.

For several weeks I have enjoyed the comments posted here, investing scores of hours searching past posts, often reading a thread a number of times, gaining new insights as I learn. As I increased my understanding of the industry I found that the second or third reading often provided me with more knowledge than the first.

I lurk for two reasons: First, I am somewhat introverted. (I want to say “shy” but that sounds terrible; I am rarely bashful once I become comfortable with people.) More important, I lack sufficient knowledge to contribute in a meaningful way, as yet.

I belong to several forums for fishing, kayaking and rod building (fishing rods). When I first joined those forums I lurked. I figured that until I learned a little about fishing, bought a kayak and made a few rods there wasn’t much I could offer, except questions. Once I got my act together, I did not hesitate to participate.

I am truly impressed with the willingness of industry professionals to share their expertise on this forum. Thank you. More than thanks for providing me with valuable insights. Priceless.

I still have a lot of questions. As I continue to learn I find that my need to know seems to multiply rather than diminish. I am sure this will continue so, at least in the short term.

Until I have gained sufficient experience to participate on a more equal footing, I hope you will excuse me if I post a few questions that may prove garishly idiotic. Sometimes, even my friends are amazed at my ability to put such a large foot entirely inside my mouth.

Thanks again.

Claude

14 answers to this question

There is no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb answers.

No one wakes up one day and has all the answers, it takes years of trial and error and advice from other professionals who have been there before.

This is a great site for asking these questions and sharing experiences.

ASK AWAY!!!

I am a lurker on this BBS.

Claude,

You are showing your age by using BBS and lurker in the same post.

Philip - Former SysOp, Chaos Inc. BBS 1988-1996

Just for fun:

Phone: 770-498-9646

I had 4 lines and a MASSIVE 6.1Gb online. (ever seen a 600Mb 5.25in full height drive? About as large and heavy as a PW pump)

3 machines

32mb of obscenely expensive RAM/each

10 "doorway" games

linked to FidoNET for mail relay (inc'l internet mail)

Looking for an old favorite? Look here: http://bbslist.textfiles.com/usbbs.html

Hi Claude!

Welcome to the BBS. Glad you are finding it to be helpful to you. We're all looking forward to hearing from you more as you become more comfortable. Have a great day!

Beth :groovy3:

Claude,

You are showing your age by using BBS and lurker in the same post.

Just for fun:

Phone: 770-498-9646

I had 4 lines and a MASSIVE 6.1Gb online. (ever seen a 600Mb 5.25in full height drive? About as large and heavy as a PW pump)

3 machines

32mb of obscenely expensive RAM/each

10 "doorway" games

linked to FidoNET for mail relay (inc'l internet mail)

God that brought back some memories...I was so happy when I got that new 2400bps modem...it was so much faster than that 1200...and then, when I went 14.4 I thought I was in heaven. Oh, and replacing that monochrome with color? Wow!!

amazing how far we've come in such a short time.

God that brought back some memories...I was so happy when I got that new 2400bps modem...it was so much faster than that 1200...and then, when I went 14.4 I thought I was in heaven. Oh, and replacing that monochrome with color? Wow!!

amazing how far we've come in such a short time.

To Funny!

I remember the old bbs days as well before Al Gore "invented" the internet we would hook up at 1200-2400 bps and play games like Red Dragon and Ultima. Oh the days of the text adaventure games were fun indeed, now we are having video phone calls over broadband and more..... but I'l still waiting to see the flying cars everyone talked about back then.

Claude, welcome to the Board! Jump in anytime!

Claude,

Whoa!!

YOU were the SysOp for Chaos???

I used to use a BBS by the same name. I also remember that one of the BBSs I used was in Fayetteville. Now, it's been so long ago that I don't remember if the two were one and the same, but how cool is that.....to think that 10 years ago I could have been using your board. I was cosys of one named Oasis or Digital Oasis....can't remember now. Ah, those were the fun days.

Whoa!!

YOU were the SysOp for Chaos???

I used to use a BBS by the same name. I also remember that one of the BBSs I used was in Fayetteville. Now, it's been so long ago that I don't remember if the two were one and the same, but how cool is that.....to think that 10 years ago I could have been using your board. I was cosys of one named Oasis or Digital Oasis....can't remember now. Ah, those were the fun days.

Yep. Small world 'eh. I was in Stone Mountain. I have a pick of the rack somewhere. I spent a not-so-small fortune keeping that thing up and I think I collected a total of $2-300 in memberships.

Claude

Welcome.. My wife and I just got back on the board,I used this board when we lived in Missouri and I was pressure cleaning and i got some great info here,right now Jennifer is thinking about starting a house cleaning service part time....But anyway with that said we are neighbors we are in Clearwater also,,

Scott

ps......the snook are on the beaches :)

Scott,

The snook are indeed on the beaches. I hear reports that they are all over the beach sides of Honeymoon Island and Caladesi in the early morning before the people arrive to spook them. And I've seen a few caught off the Dunedin Causeway there.

I caught some big fat females last year just inside the pass. (Revived them and let them go to spawn.) Haven't had a chance to try it this summer, yet.

It's great to hear from Clearwater people on this forum. Good luck to Jennifer. What kind of cleaning does Jennifer want to do?

There's also a fellow named Ken on the forum from Palm Harbor. He seems like a good fellow from his posts.

Claude

Hey everybody,

I just want to say thanks for your responses and this terrific forum. It's been a while since I started a service business (been working with lawyers for the last decade) and I'm a little nervous. (Been sitting at a desk for way too long.)

Reading your posts and absorbing the information is very encouraging. Thanks to you all, I see this industry as a first class trade and I am pleased to become a part of this profession.

Thanks.

Claude

Claude

Jennifer is thinking about starting a house keeping business, right now we are just in the planning research stage and looking into getting her bonded.

I did some power washing in missouri and i was thinking about getting into it down here on a very small scale but the competion seems to be tough here , I lived here in Clearwater most of my life then moved to missouri for 8 years so I know the area well.All the dirty tile roofs have my attention, but I have never attempted to do one or know what the going rate is to do them. If you dont mind me asking how has work been for you in the area?