Sign in to follow this  
M Pearlstein

Latex over new oil finish

Question

I just finished a deck and the customer is not happy with the color SHE chose. She had a latex dark brown on before and after educating her on the advantages of an oil finish and showing her sample cards she chose the darkest color. Now that it is on she is unsure.

So my question is can you put Latex over an oil if she wants this or do I need to strip and start again?

I know this is a crap option but I want to make sure I have answers to her questions.

Thanks

8 answers to this question

Welcome to wood restoration! I'd have an issue with having to do an entire redo at my expense because a customer chose the wrong color. How did you present your colors to her? If from a chart, you learned a valuable lesson about how meaningless those are. Even from samples of certain species of wood stained with your available colors, porosity and age can totally change the color that shows up. I learned the hard way to come up with just a few color tones that look the best on the broadest range of wood, and stick with them. Now I ask the customer, do you like dark brown? light brown? reddish tint? heavier red or a certain color?

What are your plans for this deck and charges to the customer? Whatever you decide to do, talk up the color first (if you think it looks good) and let her get used to it. Sometimes, like a new hair-do, people have to adjust what they are used to seeing.

Thats pretty much the rule. There are exceptions like the gloss level, how fresh the coating is or whteher its interior or exterior. You sometimes have to use a tie coat of primer to go latex over oil but it depends on the circumstances. For the most part I never worry much about exterior latex over oil projects.....I'm still confused about M.P.'s situation though..if the product put down was oil why go to latex? But what I really don't understand is how you'd get a lighter color if the reason for changing is because its too dark? It seem like to lighten it you would have to strip the fresh finish. Sounds like a difficult mess.

Sounds like she wants a solid latex over the oil based semi???

Most likely you can cover the oil based stain with latex but as with anything else, there are always exceptions.

I would double check with the mfg. of the oil based stain. There are some film forming oil based stains that do not like anything else on top unless you primer it first or use a liquid surface preparation such as Wil-Bond.

Wil-Bond as an example, softens the surface (making it tacky) allowing for a tighter and longer lasting bond of the top coat. This stuff is $$$$ and contains all kinds of good stuff: Toluene, Acetone, Methanol, Naphta and Isopropyl Alcohol. Does not save money or time.

Hey guys-

Thanks for the responses. After letting her sleep on it the night, offering to work out a reasonable deal if needed and reminding her politely that I told her the color would have variations and not look like a solid she agreed she likes it.

Thanks