Sign in to follow this  
VanDiesel99

Bleach beak

How many of you guys wear respirators/masks when doing a normal housewash. I seem to be developing something like ingrown hairs right on the inside of my nose usually a day or two after spraying housewash with sodium hypo. Has anyone else experienced this? I will be wearing a respirator from now on because they are painful.

The only time I don't wear a respirator is when I am doing concrete work. I had to pull it off the other day and then sprayed underneath a rail. Of course at that moment the wind came right at me and all night long my throat was irritated. A penetrating oil loaded with VOC's is probably not real healthy for sensitive lung tissue. The guy I use for my residential work is resistant to wearing one. When he thinks I am not looking he pulls it off. I told him if I catch him one more time, he and I will be parting company. Almsot everything we use in this business is carcinogenic. It's not worth the risk trying to be macho.

I also wear a respirator when cleaning all exteriors and roofs. You get used to it and you only have to wear it why applying the chems and at least half way through the rinse. I probably take mine on and off a dozen times during every house wash.

I don't have a respirator of professional quality yet. But I plan on getting one asap.

But until I do get one, I have been using a lightweight face sheild which I really like ( flip it up, flip it down) and using the mouth and nose barrier that you can get a pack of 25 for about 10.00 bucks Maybe less... at any hardware store. I too, feel you have to take every precaution when it comes to overspray of chems to protect our airways and eyes. I also wear long sleeves no matter what the temp is to protect myself from the overspray. Although I have had respiritory issues from pw houses in the past I am not truely convinced that it was from the chems. I feel that the algaes and mold were the issue. But one can never be to safe. It helps if the gear is at least comfortable as well, then maybe others wouldn't just blow off the use of the gear because it is so cumbersome. But for now a simple few dollars investment keeps me up and runnin for the most part. I am firm of at least having minimal protection because I generally don't have alot of success at dodging the bullet.

Great Day to all!!

Adrian

are you folks wearing the painters type respirators? the kind with the 3M replaceable cartridges for like $35 at the big home supply warehouses? thats what I have (traded a company t-shirt for it) and wear the flip up faceshield (mostly when mixing wood chems) and wear saftey glasses for the house chems.

I ordered mine from Grainger.com they have a good selection. I prefer the full face mask type respirator so I don't have to bother with the saftey glasses. Of course the full face mask kind is a lot more expensive, but for saftey, its worth every penny.