Sign in to follow this  
the_GUNN_man

HD-80 vs. EFC-38

Question

I have started to use HD-80 for everything and started going away from EFC-38. Here is the reason. I find that over 90% of the decks I do will still have some kind of sealer/stain on it. There are a lot of decks that look like it is bare only to start spraying and find that the spindals still have some sealer on them. The EFC-38 just doesn't seem to take it off. I have been mixing the HD-80 at 4 oz per gallon of water then using a Shur-Flo to apply it. When I need to remove a heavier stain I use 8 oz per gallon. I find that the weight vs. volume is pretty closewith HD-80 so when I say 8 oz I mean 8oz in a measuring cup. Since EFC-38 and HD-80 cost the same I find that HD-80 at half strength works better the EFC-38 at full strength. I end up cutting the cost in half. I am just curious to if others do the same?

I understand that there are greater risks when using HD-80 but I have found no great benefit in using the EFC-38.

I am also wondering how others apply HD-80. I use a Shur-Flo. I usually wet the wood first except when heavy stripping is needed then I use it without prewetting. That is mostly when removing solid stains and the water is still beading somewhat.

9 answers to this question

I have used about 200 lbs of HD-80 so far this season versus maybe 20 lbs of EFC-38. All of my repeat business (maintenance cleaning) was done early in the season. I might have one tub of it left on the truck. It has it's place and I know when to use it but I agree with you, anytime a strip is needed or mold growth is heavy, I use the HD. It's faster and more economical.

I'm leaning the same way. I used an S/H stripper at about 2 1/2 oz/gal to take the mildew and grey off a dock..worked beautiful. Part of the reason I'm leaning to this method in most cases is that it dissolves easier in the cold well water and also I can dissolve it early in a little water (a few gals. depending on the project) and take it to the job and add more water to the mix to get the concentration I want.

I'm doing the same thing but with f-18 instead. I might try out some of the hd-80 when I finish this tub of f-18. Probably next week I'll be ready to order. Were running about 7 pw jobs a day so it should'nt take long. Gutter cleaning jobs are backing up on us though and so is the power washing, I just can't seem to keep up this year with the volume of work we've been getting. Still raising prices but it hasn't helped yet.

The only reason I've been scared out of using HD 80 for everything is the effect on plants and any kind of siding. Has anyone had any problems applying HD 80 with a shurflo next to a house or plants? EFC is eco and siding friendly but truly not as effective. I usually give EFC a shot at it then go HD 80 after my test spots. Thanks, Nick

The only reason I've been scared out of using HD 80 for everything is the effect on plants and any kind of siding. Has anyone had any problems applying HD 80 with a shurflo next to a house or plants? EFC is eco and siding friendly but truly not as effective. I usually give EFC a shot at it then go HD 80 after my test spots. Thanks, Nick

Nick i mix my own S/H stripper but it's still does the same job as the most other S/H strippers out there.

I have remove some paint a few times by accident...painted door...gutter once.I think i had a strong mixture both times so it will take paint off trust me.So mask with some plastic where needed around painted surfaces

Now it will aslo burn some grass if it's mixed strong also.Hardy green plants if kept wet usually hold up good RINSE good!

If you have roses,or most flowering plants i will usually cover with plastic atleast till i'm done rinsing.If you leave the plastic on to long they will burn in the hot sun!

I will use the best chem for the job to clean it the best and fastest :cool:

What exactly is the chem make up of this EFC-38?