Sign in to follow this  
the_GUNN_man

"Wet" Wood Tux

Question

6 answers to this question

I am very curious about using this kind when I have to do decks that are over a half hour away. That way I would save over an hour of time spent driving and not to mention some gas.

First using what little information I do know about sealers, Wood Tux is a very well made product. I believe it needs a little refining though.

Three reasons I have not used the Wood Tux Wet exclusively this year:

Only comes in one color (is the tiniting system available yet?)

It's incredibly thick and needs to have spirits added to raise viscosity, then mixed and if you end up needing maybe a gallon more you may run into troubles color matching the rest of the deck. It clogs sprayers as it is distributed. I have not tried thinning it with zylene (?) yet. It requires a little finesse to get it down without laps. I went back to my first deck of the season with the Tux Wet and everywhere the sprayer started clogging or misfiring dried a little thick for my taste. (yes I vigorously backbrushed)

It's main appeal is the ability to apply wet. After thinking about that though, there are only certain situations where I'd actually do that. One might be on relatively new PTP deck that was cleaned with ultra low pressure. If you have any fuzzing you are going to seal it right in. Homeowner may not care and depending on how you price, he may be fine with that. My customers definitely would not.

Taking this novel to an end.. I think I will let others test market this product for durability and let Russell play further with molecule size before I committ to its use.

I used it on my first deck earlier this spring, I rolled it on and back brushed. It does take a lot a finesse to eliminate lap marks. Coverage was 150 sq ft/gal and I got the job done dispite scattered showers that day. It is a little pricey but it definately has it's place.