Sign in to follow this  
FullBlast

Purple Power

Question

Someone was talking about purple power here some time ago. Was wondering who all used it?

What do you use it for?

And how do you mix it?

Do you mix anything else with it?

I stopped at Avance auto today and was going to get a gal. to try it out and then I saw that they had some 2 1/2 gal. jugs so I got one of them and got to the couter and the man said we have those in the 5 gal. I say yea I take 5 gal then he says he has 2 more 5 gal. that someone ordered and never came and got so he give me a deal on all of it 5gal@ $13 So now I'm sure hopin this stuff works!!!!!!

24 answers to this question

It's good for some types of heavy cleaning, as mentioned. It is a butyl/NaOH product. There are stronger alternatives out there (such as Delco R-202). As with any NaOH product, watch where you let it dwell, it WILL remove paint!

It works OK on gutters too, in a pinch. Just be careful.....It can and will remove paint if applied too strong.

What do you mean in a pinch? That's all I use on gutters cut 50/50 with water. What do you use on gutters?

We use P.P. on gutters every time the customer wants the black streaks removed. We use it full power. Spray on, then lightly aggitate with brush then rinse. We do about 20' at a time. Works great for us but I can't compare to anything else because I have never used anything else.

Yea, that purple power is some pretty strong stuff and will damage surfaces if not carefull. I use it on gutters also.

I used it on car engine cleaning. It worked better than Sam's degreaser, about the same as a citrus degreaser, not nearly as good as Gunk engine cleaner, but it did loosen up the baked in oil under the hood. I sprayed it and then wiped it to break it up then PW it and it rinsed clean. It works well on gutter streaks also.

I use it all the time on my house jobs fir gutters. I just used it today and the stuff is great. I also use limolene for e-spec and it also work good. So I stock both. I recently had an issue with my heater unit. It was down for about a month. Delco people took care of me. Thanks Delco, also as I could not use my burner, I went back to using th PP and it was a job saver. Use it but use it wisely. I hear it will take paint of the gutters, I have not experienced it but have read it from these post.

Degraffreed

I use it all the time on my house jobs fir gutters. I just used it today and the stuff is great. I also use limolene for e-spec and it also work good. So I stock both. I recently had an issue with my heater unit. It was down for about a month. Delco people took care of me. Thanks Delco, also as I could not use my burner, I went back to using th PP and it was a job saver. Use it but use it wisely. I hear it will take paint of the gutters, I have not experienced it but have read it from these post.

Degraffreed

I use a purple butyl caustic from a chem supplier and purple power. based on color, sudsiness, and viscosity PP seems to be my stuff cut 1:1 with water.

Anyway, my purple stuff will strip a gutter to bear metal at full strength and strip window frames at 1:3. I imagine PP would do similarly.

Anyone ever use Simple Green on gutters? I tried it this weekend at 1:2, and it works well. It only gets about 90% of what PP does (without brushing) and it every bit as effective as PP if you brush the tough spots. And it's alot easier on the eyes and bushes.

Tried PP in colder weather (upper 40's) a couple of times and did not perform well, but neither did some other products.

I find AllBrite to be effective all around for siding and gutters.

For gutters, it can be applied with an x-jet which makes it foam once it hits the surface. 95% of the thime there is no brushing needed (there are some exceptions).

Dwell time is very short, mostly less than a minute.

When applied with our X-jet at full strength, it's hitting the surface at about 50% strength. Mostly we dilute it 1:1/2 (water) - this gives us about a 30% strength on the substrate surface. Personally, I think foaming is crucial to the process, as it helps it adhere while it's working.

I find AllBrite to be effective all around for siding and gutters.

For gutters, it can be applied with an x-jet which makes it foam once it hits the surface. 95% of the thime there is no brushing needed (there are some exceptions).

Interesting. I found AllBrite to be less effective that purple butyl caustic and PowerHouse (SunBrite's Yellow Butyl caustic) to be ineffective.

Dwell time is very short, mostly less than a minute.

Yes, wait too long and it rebonds.

When applied with our X-jet at full strength, it's hitting the surface at about 50% strength. Mostly we dilute it 1:1/2 (water) - this gives us about a 30% strength on the substrate surface. Personally, I think foaming is crucial to the process, as it helps it adhere while it's working.

This has been covered before, but perhaps it's time again. Unless I am mistaken, an x-jet at 1:2 is producing 3 gals of solution with 1 part concentrate and 2 parts water. Hence your TTW mix is 33% before dilution and 22% after dilution.

Anyone ever use Simple Green on gutters? I tried it this weekend at 1:2, and it works well. It only gets about 90% of what PP does (without brushing) and it every bit as effective as PP if you brush the tough spots. And it's alot easier on the eyes and bushes.

I have tried simple green and found out that for me Mean Green works better. $5 a gal at Dollar Store works good for degreasing!!

I've personally never seen it damage vinyl siding. I suppose if it's cheap or old vinyl, it's possible that it might fade or streak.

We always water the sides of the house and all plants/grass in the area before, during and after when using any type of cleaner on gutters.

I find it best to apply the soap to the side of the house, and while it's dwelling, deal with the gutters. THat way, don't have to worry about any of the gutter cleaner causing streaks on the siding.

Tony's way is probably the best for you in this situation. However, in the heat of summer in the south, your chem would probably dry before you could rinse if done that way.

I find it best to apply the soap to the side of the house, and while it's dwelling, deal with the gutters. THat way, don't have to worry about any of the gutter cleaner causing streaks on the siding.

same here......

If the surface is too hot, I'll wet down the siding (and windows) to cool it off before tossing the housewash mix on there, let it dwell while doing the gutters, then one rinse top to bottom

I have a long pole.

Nice.....mine isnt really long, but it works really well.....(take it easy, wise guys)

Lou, I mix my gutter mix 50/50 in a bucket and brush it on with my long pole too.....x-jetting it with the wind around here would be brutal, not to mention the waste.....I guess I could shurflo it but thats a PITA to pull that out just for the gutters.....I have a great brush, got it by luck at a auto parts store, its big and soft and holds a lot of cleaner.....I brush it on, let it sit a couple minutes and usually go over it again just for grins then rinse, they come out sparkling :)