Sign in to follow this  
RCBill

Defurring Pad

Question

19 answers to this question

RC, pads work good in some situations, but 95% of the time an Osborne Brush is far better. Expensive, but last a long time. Kinda heavy, saves money in durability, quality, and no change-outs. www.aloghomestore.com should be easy to find, you want a 6" brush with square bristles,

Thanks for the response folks.

Celeste; would you post a brand name or something for me to google.

Jon; I just can't picture how a rotary cutting device leaves a finish without cross-grain marks that would be accented by the stain. I trust that you and other wood pros have this knocked. How do I cut cross-grain without leaving scratches (sp?)?

Bill

To save word getting too specific, I'll just say it is not a problem for me or anyone else. If you sit on a surface with the rotary brush at a high speed, yes, it will burn the wood. On a big smooth surface (say a 12" log) you can see some light swirls, depending on the finish used. But nobody, and I mean nobody, would ever notice much less complain, because they'll be drooling over the fact that all the felting is gone. Just try it; you'll be an expert within 5 minutes, and if you don't like it for some reason, I'll buy it back from you.

Well, I wanted to ask you for some kind of assurance that the Osbourne Brush would be a great tool, but I didn't know how to phrase it.

Is this the brush; crp0013-6r 6" round - 1-1/2" bristles ?

TIA

Bill

Jon, will one brush last longer than 40 defelting pads, which is about the same cost...???

by the looks of the brush, it'll obviously last longer, but how much longer and are there any other benefits or drawbacks??

Mike,

One thing right off the bat.....changing out 40 pads takes at least one hour, plus the time up and down the ladder, etc. The labor savings are big, plus no little black bristles to clean up.

Drawbacks: heavier, $, tougher to get into some spots, easier to get into others

Benefits: faster, more abrasive, more effective,

You'll just have to try one and see what you think. You'd DEFINITELY prefer it on the floor, due to it's weight and ability to get into ridges.

Brian,

If you have any interest in selling brushes, there are some knock-off brands out there that are similar to the Osborne. don't know if they'd be profitable for you or not, might send you a free one though to test, just a thought,

Mike,

One thing right off the bat.....changing out 40 pads takes at least one hour, plus the time up and down the ladder, etc. The labor savings are big, plus no little black bristles to clean up.

Drawbacks: heavier, $, tougher to get into some spots, easier to get into others

Benefits: faster, more abrasive, more effective,

You'll just have to try one and see what you think. You'd DEFINITELY prefer it on the floor, due to it's weight and ability to get into ridges.

Thanks for the input Jon, I'll have to give one a try (as soon as Brian starts carrying them)!!!! :cool:

If anyone is looking for Defelting Pads I have them instock. www.deckguide.com

Brian,

I was just about to hit the complete order button and realized that the shipping for ONE pad (22.50) was going to be $21 and changed my mind. Why so high on shipping, I thought I was shopping Ebay! (zip 63383)

Hey Roger -

They come 10 to a box...as I recall....you are getting 10 pads not one.

Beth

correct...10 to a box, each box is about 1'x1', maybe a bit smaller and VERY light weight....shipping cant be much (I get em locally, so I dont know cost of shipping)......get more than 1 box though, you'll use them :cool:

I took Jon's advice and picked up an Osborne brush from the LogHome Stroe I think it was. It took awhile to get here but having used it five times I do like it. It is a bit heavy but almost as fast as you can move you get a very nice surface. I'm still playing with techique and rpm but I don't think it's a purchase one would regret.

When I am using the Makita and a defelting pad, I have it set down between 1 and 2, 3 feels like my little girly shoulder will go 'pop'. I have been meaning to pick up an osborne brush all summer. Rod is really interested in them also. I'll bet they rock.

Beth :cup: :dancing: :sunshine:

Arnold Shwarzneger(spelling) just came out with "girl-ly pad's". For those of you who fur up wood when you didn't mean it. LOL I use some stuff from the stone industry. If you look at harsher industries ( material) their lesser abrasives work on wood. This could be a tip ?

Just my personal opinion. I used several Osborne brushes down to the nubs before I ever ordered the bufffing pads, and I was surprised by how much better the surface looked with the pads. Maybe with splintery wood you get lots of black fuzzies, but after practice, not so much.

By the way, quick way to change pad: hold lock down button and with bufffer upside down, spin pad with flat of hand counterclockwise. Put Nut thru new pad. with pad on top of nut, look thru backer pad to line up angles on nut. Squeeze together and flip over, holding them together. Hold the whole assembly down to the mandrel on the buffer, and very gently kneel or use your toe to tap the trigger. Presto! pad changed in about 30 -45 seconds. Also, if you put the old pad behind the new one, the extra padding seems to increase the effectiveness of the new pad. Not the longevity, but the effectiveness.

Rich is right, Obsornes have their limitations. For most things I like them better, like when getting out the fuzz on the soft grain of redwood, when it is recessed from the hard grain. Osbornes are soooo heavy, can be quite cumbersome.