Sign in to follow this  
Celeste

New Ipe Project :)

Question

Here are a couple shots of an Ipe deck we start on Monday. It was sealed with Mesmer's less than 9 months ago. We're sealing the ipe floor, spindles, steps & rail system with Aussie oil....homeowner wants the pressure treated wood to match the siding color.

42 answers to this question

Very nice! These are my favorite kinds of photos. The ones of the deck being used, with all the furniture and plants and stuff back on it. I'll bet they spend every evening out there now, and most of the 4th! Good reason to hold a party too!

We are thrilled for you guys about this job!

Beth

We thoroughly enjoyed it.....learned somethings about two-toning that we didn't plan well for in our excitement :) like applying the solid first....duh. It worked out okay since we were multiple people and it was pretty much all getting done at once, but it could have been a bit easier the other way. Loved working with the Aussie Oil and lambswool....but don't cut the pads in half! They will leave little sheep fuzzies :) Definitely learned that an Ipe splinter hurts worse than the other kind.

We went back the next day to help put the furniture back on - they evidently could not wait so instead of working, we became their first guests on the deck. It was very nice - you couldn't help but just stare at the wood. It is gorgeous stuff.

Our other deck builder is starting on one next month....floor alone is huge. We can't wait!

Celeste

See? Even without the sample boards we all played with when you guys were here, you got the job and did fine. Glad the lead worked out. Had a feeling it would. ;)

You'll have to share photos of this new one when you have them.

It is best if you let the Ipe age 6 months before doing anything. It's so tight...you'll get a better result if you do this new one early next spring. The trick is sometimes getting the client to wait. Some listen better than others do.

Hardwoods ( I include teak, mahogany, ipe, Brazillian redwood, and balau in this as examples but there are other woods) do better when they are exposed for a little while before being cared for, unlike softwoods.

Beth :island: :sunshine: :dancing:

The project we just finished was sealed (with Mesmers) immediately upon finishing - the finish failed in less than 9 months. Would the fact that they didn't let it season at all be a contributing factor to the quick failure?

Aussy does the same thing as all the products. I just stripped a aussy that looked like Celest's. You cannot take care of Ipe with those products They don't last. The same thing is going to happen. And the product builds up with muilti applications.

Jim....

All products fail eventually, and fail faster on hardwood than on softwood. If they didn't the manufacturers wouldn't sell much product. You know that. Personally, I have yet to see mildew infestation on an application of Aussie Oil, but then, prep is everything as you know. If you fail to clean, you have cleaned to fail.

Beth :island: :sunshine: :dancing:

Beth & Rod, Jim, Celeste,

I'm leaning towards Jim on this one. Aussie oil, even on a protected mahogany porch, does not last a year. I could not have prepped the wood better, and it looks like h*ll. Its a do over and I'll give it one more shot, but I'm doubtful of the longetivity of the oil.

Ipe I can understand. Aussie oil for one year, strip it, and do it again. OK by me but customers do not want to pay the serious freight each and every year.

God forbid, I'm trolling for a film forming stain that will last for 2 yrs. on exposed or protected ipe or mahogany and is easy to strip. Any suggestions?

Email to wwoodcare@comcast.net if you wish to remain anonymous.

Thanks.