Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

It never ceases to amaze me

Question

I give two bids last week, one housewash and one deck. I talk to each owner for about half an hour. Each has had terrible experiences with low priced contractors. I do my best to close but they are both adamant about hearing out the other contractors and accepting bids.

Wondering why we haven't been booked for the jobs, I visited each this morning. One guy (housewash) tells me he went with a lower bid. Needless to say the "company" scheduled twice and never showed either time.

The other homeowner whom was a real nice guy and knew his stuff, decided to go with a cheaper wood resto company. I gave this guy a list of questions and qualifications to inquire about when other contractor's gave him bids. He decided to go with the lower company without asking anything about the process. So needless to say I get there today and see half the deck stripped, and I mean stripped. I walk towards it and from thirty feet away I can see about 500 splinters going every which way. He looked at me kind of sheepishly and told me he stopped the guy in mid job. Now this contractor told him he is keeping the deposit because he came out there and did a third of the job. On top of that I had to raise my original bid because I have to repair the damage to the cedar.

Some people truly need a brick wall to fall on their heads. End of rant..

7 answers to this question

Ken, will you photograph the damaged deck so that when you are done you can use the "save" as a talking point in future sales? Kind of a "Before", an "after a dumba$$", and an "after Pressurepros does it right" sort of thing. Do you think that would be like saying,"I told you so"? I'm curious about your questions for contractors list. I know some people that use one, but haven't found one that fits into my spiel naturally. Improvement required, I imagine. Do you give one to everybody as a way to answer those questions about yourself, or do you only give one to people you strongly suspedt are price shoppers? I know how something that seems so elementary as value vs. price arguments can be so difficult to sell. It can rankle to do your best and see that there are none so blind as those who will not see. Good job on the save, anyway, and better luck as the summer goes on.

It's not out of the question to ask them if they are interested in the best price, or the best service...it's not the same thing. Watch their heads spin...they will want to answer price, but if they think about it, they want the best service...but they are NOT the same thing at all.

Beth

Unfortunately, there is little anyone can do when the homeowner decides to be ignorant! You can tell them all you can to help them, but mostly, they think you are just trying to talk them out of choosing anyone else.

We give literature for people to look at in their leisure. Unless they inquire, I will not go down the "watch out for..." or "buyer beware" speeches.

If they really only care about price, they will end up paying it in other ways.

If they really care about quality, the choice they make will reflect the experience with you at the time of the estimate. Personalities can also play a big factor in the homeowners decision.

Next!

Rod~

Stainless, I never bad mouth another contractor regardless of if I have seen him do a crappy job elsewhere. It doesn't get you anywhere, just makes you look like the bad guy. In this scenario, I was finishing up with the guy and another contractor walked on scene. It was just a guy in a pickup truck, no identification. Like any business person, to me, he represented food taken from my table. I accept competetion, it doesn't mean I have to like it. I know I am going to come in as high bid, it's how I choose to position myself in the market. I tell the homeowner this myself. It's like Rod/Beth mentioned. Quality or Price? I will tell the homeowner to compare apples to apples. My checklist:

1) Check insurance. A guy with no insurance doesn't have anything vested in the job other than some materials and labor. It doesn't mean he will do bad work, but everyone makes mistakes. Is this guy going to be able to pay for new sod or replace siding or cracked windows?

2) Check references. I haven't been in the residential market all that long but I have a couple hundred people on file that allow me to use their name and photos as testimony to the work PP Inc performs.

3) Ask about the process. What type of detergents, how much pressure etc. We use the right tools for the job and I assure the customer everything we use is state of the art. I do show them pictures of damaged wood and alert them to the issues with bleach. No offense, bleach guys this isn't directed at you. The contractors around here use WAY too much

In the end, I landed both jobs so I am not complaining about that. I put my flyers out (by hand as an experiment, 300 houses) and landed 5 property cleanings for next week. This is a great market, so I am blessed. I guess I learn about humanity every day. I had a lady this afternoon call the office thinking I was one of her competitors. I told her I could not remember her or her property. Then she tells me.. Sure you do, you quoted me $325 and I have a $35 off coupon. Right there, I obviously knew she had me confused. I asked her if the deck was tiny, she said, "Oh no, it's pretty big" When I told her my average deck job runs between $800 and $3000 she told me she would be tearing up my card (she got it from one of the real estate agents I am working with). I started to explain what it is that makes us different, then just laughed and said "Please keep my card in the event something falls through" Click.

I had a lady this afternoon call the office thinking I was one of her competitors. I told her I could not remember her or her property. Then she tells me.. Sure you do, you quoted me $325 and I have a $35 off coupon. Right there, I obviously knew she had me confused. I asked her if the deck was tiny, she said, "Oh no, it's pretty big" When I told her my average deck job runs between $800 and $3000 she told me she would be tearing up my card (she got it from one of the real estate agents I am working with). I started to explain what it is that makes us different, then just laughed and said "Please keep my card in the event something falls through" Click.

Thats funny there!!! Some people have to learn the hard way!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!