Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Aluma-Wood

Question

I had an Aluma-Wood (http://www.alumawood.com/) Patio cover to clean today with the typical black streaks. I used a sodium hydroxide product, a potassium hydroxide product, & even brushed it, but nothing would get the streaks off.

I approached the customer and told them that I was unable to get satisfactory results and would have to pass on the job.

They were just as baffled as I was as they were told that all they would have to do is brush it with dish soap and water to make it look new again.

The lady of the house insisted that I try her favorite products such as windex, oil eater, Jasco TSP, which all failed to get the streaks off.

What gives with this stuff?

5 answers to this question

I would try brushing the butyl(gutter shock, etc.) cleaner on while the patio cover is DRY, let it sit for about thirty seconds, then brush just a little more and see how it turns out. Keep that hose handy to rinse it off because you don't want the cleaner to dwell too long. I just did about an entire neighborhood worth of gutters and windows that had black staining on them. They had tried everything they said. Well I cleaned up all week by using a little gutter shock and some elbow grease.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4005&highlight=gutter+cleaning

Search under Gutter Cleaning....

Any of the gutter threads will have products listed. I've listed one here for you. Be careful how long you leave any cleaner on aluminum. You'll take the finish off.

Beth