Sign in to follow this  
Tim Polk

Burner problem

I have a problem and need help ASAP. I was on a job a few days ago and the water stopped heating. I have changed the fuel filter, tore it apart and cleaned the nozzle, but I dont where to go from here. Any suggestions on what to check next? I can take it to the shop but I have a job Monday night and would like to fix it myself, if possible, Just to learn the different components and be able to fix problems myself. I have done a search on burners but dont seem to come with applicable results.

Thanks a ton, Tim

Is it a 12 volt or 110 volt? Flow, pressure, or vacuum switch? Thermostat? What brand and model of machine? Is the burner running without firing, or does it run at all? Do you get a mist of fuel out the stack? I'll check back later and see if I can help.

Its a 12 volt system, Epps model 4430 with a Beckett burner. I dont want to sound ignorant about this but I am. I dont know what type of switch it has. Its located on the pump and by the looks I would assume it to be a pressure switch as it has a "button" that makes the contact when its depressed. When I hit the trigger on the wand, I dont notice a mist of fuel. To me, it almost seems as nothing is happening when I hit the trigger on the wand. I have checked the fuse and it good. It also has a light that indicates when the burner is on. It comes on when I flip the burner switch but nothing happens. So obviously it isnt getting a spark to ignite or no fuel to ignite right? Im just having problems determining what it is. Thanks for the help.

Epps 4430 has a pressure switch and a thermostat in addition to the main power switch. When you turn the switch on, you should get a stream of air coming up the stack. This would indicate that the burner motor is running. The light coming on on the switch tells me power is getting where it needs to go. First and easiest check is the pressure switch. Remove the cover on the side. You will see a micro switch with 3 wires connected. Start the machine, switch the burner on, and take a screwdriver and jump the top 2 terminals momentarily. If it doesn't light right off, shut it down. Remove the access panel where the main power switch is mounted. Take the wires off the thermostat and jump them with a short piece of wire. Repeat the above start / jump procedure. Still no fire? Shut it down. Here's where it gets a bit complicated. Inside the burner housing is a cad cell designed to drop the transformer out of the circuit after a flame front is established, saving battery amperage. Hinge the transformer open and find the red wire coming out of the transformer. It will go to the wire that is controlled by the cad cell. Remove it and hook it up to the wires that feed the burner motor, insulating any wires that are left disconnected. Close the trans former, and repeat the above start / jump. If it fires now, the cad cell has gone bad. It will work this way, but puts extra strain on the charging system. Unfortunately, as far as I know, the cad cell cannot be ordered sepeately, you must buy the complete transformer to replace it. If you have any questions during testing, call me on my cell 502-724-8491. should have it with me all afternoon.

Tim, I just went thru the same thing last month. Burner worked fine the one day it went out during a concrete cleaning. Here is what I did.

I did all those test the Russ mentioned. but my was the regulator on the side of my engine. I guess it went bad and was not suppling the right amount of DC volts to my power switch. I burned up two relays until Delco help me thru it. Take it to a PW dealer and have them check the regulator. I had mine done at the hardware store here in GA that service pwers. Good luck.

JayCam Pressure Wash

Hello Tim,

Here is one other thing you may want to check.

I have the same problem with my burner on a Hydrotec machine. I discovered that the burner fan flew apart inside the housing which would not allow the fan to spin.

I also have a melted switch and a non functioning generator that is full of corrosion. I am not sure which happened first since I rarely use heat or electric.

Anyone want to buy a very used power washer?

Good Luck,

Jesse R. Kirchhoff

Kirchhoff Handyman Solutions LLC

“Making Your Life A Lot Less Complicated”

www.midmohandyman.com

Advanced Power Washing and Restoration Solutions LLC

Professional Products ~ Professional Service ~ Professional Results

www.advancedpw.com

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will check it and let you know what happened. Does anyone know of a PW service shop in the Ventura County area or So. Cal area?

Thanks again

Alright, after numerous scientific experiments, it has been determined that thermostat is to blame. I jumped the wires and it fired right up. Where is the best place to get another one?