Sign in to follow this  
h2owizards

? 4 Shurflo Users

Question

Hey guys/gals,

It's been awhile since I last came in here. I see most of y'all are using a pump setup now. I was wondering if y'all are still xjetting the rest of the house or are y'all using your pump to apply your housewash too?

If I'm not mistaken, the guy who started this whole pump thing, said he had his chem line tywrapped to his washer hose and would switch back to xjet.....or something along those lines. Made it sound like he was using xjet with pump but that can't be right...can it? Can someone please clarify and explain your own setup.

BTW, my PC is down and I am having to use a webtv...PITA! I sometimes can't see the last couple of posts at the end of a page so if I miss a reply or question, I might not answer it. Not being rude just didn't see it. Thanks

80 answers to this question

Scott,

Thanks for your concern about the strenghth of my suppliers chems but I don't think that's the case. The reason my chems cost so much is because each gallon is in it's own jug and each set of four jugs get thier own sealed cardboard box. The warehouse is completely air conditioned and even if the boxes where stored in direct sunlight (and they arn't) the carboard keeps it shockingly cool inside the box (I've placed a box in 95 degree heat all day just to see).

There are times when I couldn't get 10.5% and I had to use straight 6%. With regular bleach (bought at super walmart) it takes 2 coats and then I still have to spray a few spots.

Mel

What surfactant do you use?Is it the same one you use when you spray chem on walls?Who sells it?

Scott

I get it from my chemical supplier here in Vero Beach its called actionic surfactant.Its the base of soap and yes it is the same as I put on the walls.I have tried other chemicals and my mixture works very well.I tried to say that without putting down the suppliers of housewash mixes.

James,

I used to buy 10% bleach from Bate's chemical company in Liberty Tx. Have you heard of them?

We were getting 3 55gal drums delivered here in Houston.

Scott,

The reason my chems cost so much is because each gallon is in it's own jug and each set of four jugs get thier own sealed cardboard box.

So are you saying you have 25- 40 empty jugs at the end of most jobs?? What brand is it and where do you get it? The gallon jugs have me perplexed about your supplier. Not understanding pre packaged gallon jugs unless it is a pool store. Have you tried looking anywhere else??

I'm about ready to pack up some 12.5% and come work for a day in Beaumont with you and see if there is a difference.

Puzzled,

scott

I'm about ready to pack up some 12.5% and come work for a day in Beaumont with you and see if there is a difference.

Puzzled,

scott

Being right next door to TX, I'm sure you already know this, but everything is bigger and badder in Texas! Even the roof algae! :rolleyes:

Being right next door to TX, I'm sure you already know this, but everything is bigger and badder in Texas! Even the roof algae! :rolleyes:

Yeah but if he got $550 for that house, even if he did have to use 40 gallons,the paydays are bigger too. :)

Scott

Shane,

It would be great of you to give me their contact info! I don't care if it's even more than what I'm paying... I absolutely HATE openeing each box, opening each bottle then hand dumping it into my tank then disposing of all that plastic and cardboard.

Scott,

I do buy it from a pool store warehouse and it's called "Shock".

It's the ONLY place (that I've found) I can get it locally.

To all,

I've mentioned this before but...

We have an average rainfall similar to Hawaii

There are over 20 full scale "Plants" in our area (not the living green things)

We have an average humidity of 85%

and a few other reasons I can't think of.

This is why I believe the mold in MY area (not Tx in general) is a lot worse than most places.

Hello James and Shane,

Check if there is a Valley Solvent in your area. They have the 10 or 12% Chlorine. Down here it is $2.00 per gallon. Maybe they are up there where you are, if so give them a call. They sell bulk so you can bring your drum, or large tank or they will put it into drums and there is a drum deposit. If no Valley Solvent then call the other solvent companies, Someone should have it there at a good price. Hope this helps.

Mel,

Wanna know something wierd? I've yet to see a tile roof down here that needs cleaning! There's many OLD OLD houses down here with the original tile roofs on them that don't get mold on them. I don't know why but I just thought I'd let you know. Btw, that 's some pretty serious mold on that roof of yours!

Mel,

Wanna know something wierd? I've yet to see a tile roof down here that needs cleaning! There's many OLD OLD houses down here with the original tile roofs on them that don't get mold on them. I don't know why but I just thought I'd let you know. Btw, that 's some pretty serious mold on that roof of yours!

James if its not mold then what is it.

I've mentioned this before but...

We have an average rainfall similar to Hawaii

Depends on where in Hawaii, but suffice it to say that both Gainesville, FL and Beaumont, TX get around 55 inches of rain/year.

There are over 20 full scale "Plants" in our area

Plants? We have more than 20 plants in Florida. Gotta rinse 'em after cleaning the roof, or you'll have a lot less than 20!

We have an average humidity of 85%

According the the NWS, Gainesville has some of the highest humidity levels in the US, with an average morning humidity of 91%, and average afternoon humidity of 58%. Your area has an average morning humidity of 91% and an afternoon humidity of 64%. Really similar stats.

This is why I believe the mold in MY area (not Tx in general) is a lot worse than most places.

Must be some special strain of mold that somehow got loose in your area. Wish you were close enough to make it worth driving over to see this incredi-mold!

James Hayhurst:

I enjoyed looking at your site; I'm sure customers are impressed by it, and the discounts you offer.

I am curious why you housewash for free?? I am assuming that maybe when you wash a roof the chems get all over the house anyway, and you basically rinse/wash them off similar to a housewash. Or is this just a sales tactic to kick off your biz, etc?? Sounds great if you are a customer, but it sounds like an awful big "freebie" to give out on a regular basis. I don't really do houses or roofs, so I don't know, but you can enlighten me. Either way, very good site, educational without being too wordy, good pics, and it portrayed your biz in an enthusiastic and driven way.

Plants? We have more than 20 plants in Florida. Gotta rinse 'em after cleaning the roof, or you'll have a lot less than 20!

Mike

I think when he says this he's speaking of chemical plants and refineries.(Just an assumption because I know the area).

Scott

Mike,

Is this your time of the month... Or are you always this anal?

Ummm...anal is close, but not quite the right term...I don't think it's allowed on this board. :eek:

Just trying to figure out how you folks have some special algae that is resistant to 5-6% sodium hypochlorite...I mean, it'd be the same as pouring straight chlorox on the roof, and it doesn't kill the algae? Must be some pretty amazing stuff. :rolleyes:

Must be some special strain of mold that somehow got loose in your area.

I was talking with a roof cleaner in Florida that informed me that most houses you all clean are some what shaded by trees. He also said that on houses that have no shade the mold only grows on the north side because the sun bakes and kills the mold.

I'm not quoting him but this what the gist of it.

Anyways, if this is true then I thought you'd like to know this...

90% of the houses I clean have no trees and no shade. The mold that bakes in the sun all day is just as thick as the mold on the North side.

Regardless of whether it's "incredi-mold" or not I know that if you use 50/50 you'd find yourself applying 2 or more coats then misting spots.

Just trying to figure out how you folks have some special algae that is resistant to 5-6% sodium hypochlorite

Please quote me where I said it was resistant. Its just takes More COATS which Equals More TIME which eats More Profit. Is that simple enough?

I was talking with a roof cleaner in Florida that informed me that most houses you all clean are some what shaded by trees. He also said that on houses that have no shade the mold only grows on the north side because the sun bakes and kills the mold.

I'm not quoting him but this what the gist of it.

Anyways, if this is true then I thought you'd like to know this...

90% of the houses I clean have no trees and no shade. The mold that bakes in the sun all day is just as thick as the mold on the North side.

Regardless of whether it's "incredi-mold" or not I know that if you use 50/50 you'd find yourself applying 2 or more coats then misting spots.

The neighborhoods in Florida are as diverse as anywhere else, some that are older homes with larger trees nearby, and some with virtually no trees nearby. Many of the roofs I do are in neighborhoods without large shading trees, and when there are trees nearby, they're usually kept trimmed back away from the house. In truth, the mold is heavier and harder to clean in areas that are shaded by trees.

I agree with the opinion given by someone else in this thread...your problem with a 50/50 mix is likely older chlorine that isn't quite as strong as it once was. I think if you find a supplier of liquid chlorine in bulk, you may well find that you can use less chems to get the same result.

Please quote me where I said it was resistant. Its just takes More COATS which Equals More TIME which eats More Profit. Is that simple enough?

Taking more of the same strength chlorine, or a stronger mix to kill it in one coat would mean that it was resistant...it takes more to kill it. What would kill it's Floridian cousins has less of an effect upon it.

re·sis·tance (ribreve.gif-zibreve.gifsprime.giftschwa.gifns)

n.

1. The act or an instance of resisting or the capacity to resist.
  2. A force that tends to oppose or retard motion.
  3. often Resistance An underground organization engaged in a struggle for national liberation in a country under military or totalitarian occupation.
  4. Psychology. A process in which the ego opposes the conscious recall of anxiety-producing experiences.
  5. Biology.

1. The capacity of an organism to defend itself against a disease.
    2. The capacity of an organism or a tissue to withstand the effects of a harmful environmental agent.

[*] Electricity. The opposition of a body or substance to current passing through it, resulting in a change of electrical energy into heat or another form of energy.

I think if you find a supplier of liquid chlorine in bulk, you may well find that you can use less chems to get the same result.

I hope this is the case. Maybe Bates Chemical Co. will be my answer.

However, I might have mentioned this before but I've had to buy 6% when I was desperate (multiple occasions) and it took several coats plus misting on the different jobs. I believe I read here that 6% is the lowest SH will decompose.