Sign in to follow this  
h2owizards

? 4 Shurflo Users

Question

Hey guys/gals,

It's been awhile since I last came in here. I see most of y'all are using a pump setup now. I was wondering if y'all are still xjetting the rest of the house or are y'all using your pump to apply your housewash too?

If I'm not mistaken, the guy who started this whole pump thing, said he had his chem line tywrapped to his washer hose and would switch back to xjet.....or something along those lines. Made it sound like he was using xjet with pump but that can't be right...can it? Can someone please clarify and explain your own setup.

BTW, my PC is down and I am having to use a webtv...PITA! I sometimes can't see the last couple of posts at the end of a page so if I miss a reply or question, I might not answer it. Not being rude just didn't see it. Thanks

80 answers to this question

I hope this is the case. Maybe Bates Chemical Co. will be my answer.

However, I might have mentioned this before but I've had to buy 6% when I was desperate (multiple occasions) and it took several coats plus misting on the different jobs. I believe I read here that 6% is the lowest SH will decompose.

Read this post, and the attached link.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1944

If a liquid chlorine product is labeled as 6% sodium hypochlorite, it simply means that the other 94% of ingredients are not sodium hypochlorite. The sodium hypochlorite used, regardless of how much is in a particular solution, is 100% sodium hypochlorite. If you have a solution containing 6% SH, and if that SH loses 50% of it's strenth over a period of time, you are left woth a solution containing an effective 3% SH.

It's very possible that the chlorine products you're getting aren't full strength due to storage or age or mislabeling.

I believe I read here that 6% is the lowest SH will decompose.

Doesn't make sense to me. Othewise 5.25% would never decompose at all. And it does...

Just trying to figure out how you folks have some special algae that is resistant to 5-6% sodium hypochlorite...I mean, it'd be the same as pouring straight chlorox on the roof, and it doesn't kill the algae? Must be some pretty amazing stuff. :rolleyes:

Come on up and I'll show you more than your share of just that. I commonly have black roofs that laugh at 50/50 12.5% (i.e. 6%). I apply 6%, dwell 5-10 minutes (keeping wet), and then still must agitate it off with a low pressure fan. I usually use a close range tip on an old style x-jet or a 40100 on a 4 gal machine with about an 18" working distance. That is why I hate doign roofs. Almost every one requires that you walk and fan every in^2 twice. Once for chems, once for rinse. Ground rinsing with an x-jet is a fantasy for me...

We also get black spots on the driveway that I call age spots that resist 6% or the surface cleaner. Both will usually get 'em, but not always. 6% and 190^ water will get 'em consistently , but often in two passes. After the rest of the concrete is clean, they sit there in patches like leopard spots. If you will look closely, the mildew almost always keeps about a 1mm margin around them like penicillin mold does. I keep a sprayer in the truck loaded with 12.5% for spot treating these bad boys.

Regardless of whether it's "incredi-mold" or not I know that if you use 50/50 you'd find yourself applying 2 or more coats then misting spots.

Yep, that's what I have found and also that agitation is required.

Anyone rmember what my original question was? LOL

James is correct about the mold out here, though. I have seen mold in other states, including Florida and believe me, this IS differen't! There are several types of mold here including the deadly black mold and 6% SH won't budge it in most cases. The guy that invented those new fancy shingles that is supposed to keep mold away, set up his biz right here in Houston for that very reason...that and the fact that no one around here cleaned roofs much until recently. It probably really is the same stuff y'all have but with all the chem plants, refineries and air traffic around here, maybe it did create some kinda incredi-mold. Heck, I just saw a walking stick on the side of my house the other day, that was almost the size of my arm....that can't be normal either!